Polish Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics
They were in a cage with a young roo and they didn't look anything like him, and their crests are a bit messed up so maybe that's why she looks like a boy haha

I know these pictures really suck, but could y'all tell me if these girls could be good show birds? They are 10-12 weeks old and came from a wcb polish breeder here in Marana (for the life of me i cant remember what her name was) and their crests were pecked at a bit so they don't look great but the feathers are already coming back. i haven't properly weighed them yet but they feel about 3-3 1/2 pounds any info helps, thanks ^_^

10-12 weeks is too young to evaluate for type but they appear to have too much black in their crests. Also I'm pretty sure one of your "girls" is male.

at what age do polish start to crow? Also i know some breeds dont crow as loud/offten as others so are polish loud/do they crow a a lot? Because if my girl is a boy i hate to get rid of him, but my grandma hates the crowing so i might be able to keep him if hes quiet.

So...can golden laced and tolbunt be bred together? I saw someone selling eggs that states they are gold laced split to tolbunt and that you can hatch either. Is this acceptable practice in the polish world?

Tell me about Polish!

I had ordered 5 mixed "rare breeds" from Meyer this summer, but a coon got in our garage and killed them all. DH is feeling guilty about it so told me I could order 5 "pet" chickens for this spring. I already have an EE, 3 RIR, 2 barred rocks, and 2 white rocks, the poorest layers will probably become dinner at the end of summer to make room for the new babies. (I say some, but we all know how chicken math works.)

So... since these are to be babies pets and not really production birds necessarily I picked 5 pretty ones (plus a "meal maker", LOL). One of the ones I am getting is a silver laced polish, so want to know all about them prior to (and it's like 6 long months before they arrive, so...)

at what age do polish start to crow? Also i know some breeds dont crow as loud/offten as others so are polish loud/do they crow a a lot? Because if my girl is a boy i hate to get rid of him, but my grandma hates the crowing so i might be able to keep him if hes quiet.

I know that some people are breeding golden laced to tolbunt, but I really don't understand why they are creating a mix from two birds that are stunning on their own. I'm looking for tolbunt eggs right now. Hopefully a breeder will come along and help us out on this one.
So...can golden laced and tolbunt be bred together? I saw someone selling eggs that states they are gold laced split to tolbunt and that you can hatch either. Is this acceptable practice in the polish world?

I love my Polish! They are loving and funny birds. As they really don't see very well you do need to keep a close eye on them. They will not see a hawk. Half of the time they don't see you leaning over to pick them up. They tend to freak out and dash around in a panic if they hear an odd noise. Today I dropped a feeder and they all freaked out. Zulu the roo ran into a picnic table leg. (I admit to cracking up) Others just ran into my legs and each other. When they realized it was just me, they all calmed down. If something scares them, they all run flapping, looking for me.

Mine follow me everywhere, but they do tend to run between your feet, so walk carefully. They fly better than my other girls. Egg production is not great. My older girls averaged 3 eggs per week each, half in the next box, the rest where ever they felt like hiding them. Mine like to sit on my lap and if I pet their heads they fall asleep. I have a mixed flock of layers for the eggs, and Polish and Silkies for fun. They make me smile. No matter how bad of a day I am having, a visit with them just cheers me up.
Tell me about Polish!

I had ordered 5 mixed "rare breeds" from Meyer this summer, but a coon got in our garage and killed them all. DH is feeling guilty about it so told me I could order 5 "pet" chickens for this spring. I already have an EE, 3 RIR, 2 barred rocks, and 2 white rocks, the poorest layers will probably become dinner at the end of summer to make room for the new babies. (I say some, but we all know how chicken math works.)

So... since these are to be babies pets and not really production birds necessarily I picked 5 pretty ones (plus a "meal maker", LOL). One of the ones I am getting is a silver laced polish, so want to know all about them prior to (and it's like 6 long months before they arrive, so...)

Yes, the idea is this batch will be my "fun" birds - the eggs will be just a bonus. Right now I have 4 birds laying - my two ducks, once lays about 6 eggs per week and the other about 5. My EE is laying about 4 eggs per week and whatever one of the new babies is laying (I'm thinking the white rock but can't be sure) I've gotten 4 eggs from in the last week as well. So 1.5 dozen per week on average and they all aren't laying yet, so that is plenty of eggs for us! This is backyard hobby, not really for selling or anything (trying to become more self sufficient). The Polish just look like so much fun! I have heard some people will trim their bangs so that they can see better?

Back
Top Bottom