Announcement Political Ads On BYC - Not Gonna Happen!

Pics
I've disabled my ad blocker and it is making BYC pretty slow and glitchy for me?
@Nifty-Chicken this has also been my experience.. and so I came back to report it for basic informational reasons. :frow

but for the value I receive here, I'll happily disable the blocker,
Ditto.. I am gonna continue with it disabled despite the slightly diminished fluidity of features.. and remember that.. I'm NOT contending with dinosaur dial up and waiting a few.. uh-hum, seconds for things to load won't break my valuable time bank.. it just depends on where we focus. I CAN ignore them if I choose. :cool:

Most of mine that are actually directed at me (not seemingly random adds) are wool and yarn based right now...

Lol.. just as I read this, my ad was showing me donuts.. definitely directed at me! Also bio lab equipment and dementia cures. :gig

And now I realize the credit card and new car ads are directed at my husband, the bona fide shop-aholic in our family! They're good.. the advertisers. :smack

They've GOT to be listening closely! :p

I've disabled my ad blocker and it is making BYC pretty slow and glitchy for me?
@Nifty-Chicken this has also been my experience.. and so I came back to report it for basic informational reasons. :frow

Thanks for the feedback. Can you provide more details, like:
  1. Which browser / version?
  2. What specifically does "glitchy" mean?
  3. It it happening on all pages, or just some?
  4. Have you tested a different browser to see if it's browser specific?

Chrome, I don't know what version, but I think it's the latest one?
slower to load, scrolling is slower and will jump around a bit/lag, the boxes were the ads are will jump over posts sometimes
I have not tested a different browser but if it is browser specific i will just deal with it, it is more of a hassle to open a new browser every time than it is to just deal with the lag.

We're heading into a pretty unprecedented election here in the US.

In preparation for this, we've decided to disallow politically / charged discussions.

With this intense election comes more ad-spending by both parties than we've ever seen before! A lot of websites will be taking advantage of this tremendous flow of $$ and enabling political ads on their pages.

Well, to make sure BYC is putting our money where our mouths are (almost literally), we've completely disabled ALL political ads from showing to any of our site visitors.

Sure, this may create a big missed opportunity, especially during the months where traffic to BYC is at it's lowest, but we've decided to be very mindful of our amazing community visitors and members, which mean more to us than a bunch of dirty political money! LOL! ;)

Similarly, we've made the choice not to allow pop-up ads, auto-play audio ads, dating ads, and a slew of other "categories" of ads that might bring in a ton of $$, but we've decided it's not worth it. (It's reasons like this that we suggest peeps hang out here instead of FB, that clearly sells your data and will show you whichever ads pay you the most, regardless of which party <cough> or foreign entities</cough> ;) ) are paying. Let's see if Zuckerberg is also willing to completely block all political ads like we do!?!)

A few things we would like to request:
  1. Ad Blockers: Please avoid using them on BYC. Ads are by far the primary way we keep the site free for millions of people. We disable a bunch of the ad placements for members to make their experience better. We also disable 100% of all ads for our Premium Feather Members (PFM). So, if you'd like to use BYC, please either do so with ads enabled, or purchase / win a PFM.
  2. Patience With Slippery Ads: We have a lot of great ad-partners and a ton of fancy tech to try and keep unsavory ads out. Even with this in place, sometimes "bad ads" slip through the filters. If you see a political ad, or another ad that you feel doesn't align with our community, please send me a private message conversation with a screenshot of the ad.
Thanks to all our amazing members for making BYC such a fantastic place to visit and hang-out!!!
:wee:yaThank you!

This (following quote) is an accurate description by the other poster for me as well. Noting a HUGE thank you for caring enough to ask! :clap

My Chrome version # best I can tell..
Version 80.0.3987.137

I probably won't take the time to test other browsers.. WAIT, is that even my browser.. or my operating system version # I posted.. Sorry I think that might be what I posted was my OS version.. I'm still working on my computer literacy.. surprisingly.. yet ONE more skill being honed through BYC! :highfive:

Chrome, I don't know what version, but I think it's the latest one?
slower to load, scrolling is slower and will jump around a bit/lag, the boxes were the ads are will jump over posts sometimes
I have not tested a different browser but if it is browser specific i will just deal with it, it is more of a hassle to open a new browser every time than it is to just deal with the lag.
I swear I just found myself thinking the same exact thing and now wonder if I just happen to type my own thought inside your quote box, as happens sometimes when figuring out the whole posting thing. Like did I just think that or did I say it out loud and if I say it loud now will I be repeating myself or just think I am?! :bun

Back
Top Bottom