poll: are you legal or an outlaw?

At the current time I am an outlaw, but am hoping to be legal soon. Most people that I've known raising chickens for the past two decades are outlaws and loving it. Most will likely still remain half outlaws even if we pass the backyard chicken ordinance as most of my friends raise both sexes of chickens and would be way over the ordinance limits of only allowing 4 hens per household. But whatever works for ya. If your neighbors don't mind, why not. You certainly aren't hurting anyone. Mind you, most of my friends are enthusiasts and are breeding their specific breeds to keep the strains alive or to contribute to the breeds' stock and could care less about eggs. Me, I've always loved my birds as pets and only see the eggs and fertilizer as added benefits. Godspeed to all across our great nation in getting the chicken ordinances/laws passed in each of your cities. Let's make America's families one step closer to being self sufficient. Cheers!
big_smile.png

-Omy-

Legal! Before we bought our house here, two years ago, i made sure of it. We were semi-illegal in Los Angeles County, mainly due to set-back requirements. Our pen was a little close to one neighbor's house. Even though he was fine with it, i always fretted having Animal Control knock on our door.

Well, today, here in Fair Oaks (Sacramento County), Animal Control came knocking. Seems they received an anonymous complaint that we have "a LOT of animals". i told her we do have poultry and some dwarf goats. Then quoted her the law, that in the unincorporated areas of Sacramento County, if you have 10,000 square feet or more, you are allowed to have as many chickens, ducks, turkeys, etc (any kind of bird or duck, including roosters), and can keep farm animals that do not exceed 75 pounds at adult weight.

She asked how many chickens i have, and i said "round about 40", and then the three Nigerian Dwarf goats (our biggest girl is maybe 30-35 pounds. The officer asked to see them and how they're kept so i gave her a tour. Turns out she has chickens and horses and other farm animals herself. She closed the complaint out as "unfounded".

i am so glad i did my homework before we moved here. i always knew Animal Control might come knocking. Nice to know we can keep our pets without fear of having them taken away.

Legal. We apparantly live in the 'general residential' zone in our rural township and are allowed to keep farm animals of all kinds as long as the placement and size of their dwellings are according to code. I wasn't sure until I checked the township's zoning information just now
cool.png

Last edited:
I cannot believe it, but it is against the law for us to have our chickens because we don't have 3 acres, just 1 1/2 acres. They can take my girls & Elvis out of my cold, dead hands. They aren't just chickens, they are my pets. Each one of them have their own personalities, just like our dogs. I've only had 1 ticket after driving for 20 something years, never been to jail or done anything wrong, but they can kiss my grits!! So, my answer is yes, I'm an outlaw.

Legal. I live in the city with a semi-large yard for where I live. The law is, I can have whatever I want (I could even have a cow, but mom says no
smile.png
) as long as the neighbors don't complain. If the neighbors complain, its out with the animal or animal control will come and take them away!!! Unfortunatly, I live next to the neighborhood partypoopers, who have no animals and hate all of them
sad.png
everyone else in the community would tell us that hearing the rooster crow was nice and pleasant, grumpy neighbors yelled at us and said we had to get rid of him
sad.png
but for now, I am legal!!!

I'm in the sticks on a property that was a thriving egg business in the 50's. I couldn't find any info but I assume we're legal.

I'd guess I'd be a partial outlaw. The city says ok (as long as coop is 50 ft from another house) but my home owners assoc RCQ's says no poultry. I figure I can just say my bantam's are a new breed of parrots
roll.png
and have decided that they are so cute that that they are now house birdies. To be let out on day's I'm home and the only neighbor that can see is at work!
lol.png
Now when I finally become employed again, I'll have to make sure I have some weekday's off so the girls can weed and eat those rotten grubs in my yard!!

Last edited:
Outlaw.
lol.png
should only have six hens.. We have 9 hens and 1 roo. should have been a hen. Live and learn. I love or Wilma/Wilber. So far neighbors are ok with him

Legal as to the county, outlaw because before we bought this home, the neighbors and previous owner had the bright idea to create a "subdivision" WAY out here in the country. 40 acres of cows across the street, but they aren't part of it. Luckily, our neighbors are all country folks, and have even gone so far as to say they are looking forward to hearing a rooster crow!! I am gonna give away so many eggs that they will want me to get more!

Back
Top Bottom