Poll: How many here have actually had bumblefoot in their poultry?

How many here have actually had bumblefoot in their poultry?

• Had it -- couldn't successfully treat

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Had it -- have successfully treated in at least one bird

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • Never had it

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • What is bumblefoot?

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
I see soooo many posts about how to treat bumblefoot, but very few, if any, that follow up with whether or not treatment was successful. I have to wonder how many folks are simply giving advice because they've read it elsewhere, if it's actually worked, etc.. Feel free to comment!

Here's my story:
I have two hens that have bumblefoot and I've tried many separate measures, including removal and expensive vet visits, and at bests it *nearly* went away on one hen, but is growing again, and soaking daily in Tricide-Neo but to no avail. I have not tried at home removal yet, but the avian vet stated removal surgery is usually ineffective. I will say in the hen's case where (a different) vet removed it surgically, it came back with a vengeance. But now the poor thing spends all day standing on one leg so I am going to give it yet another attempt. The first hen has always acted unaffected, but her bumble has always been less severe.

I think I'm going to "quadrouple down" on both hens trying all the treatments at once. 1) oral antibiotics 2) Adding BDM to their feed (a low-dose antibiotic) 3) soaking and removing with epson salts and 4) wraping the foot daily with liberal amounts of silver sulfadiazine. I want to do all of these for a week on both hens.

I see soooo many posts about how to treat bumblefoot, but very few, if any, that follow up with whether or not treatment was successful. I have to wonder how many folks are simply giving advice because they've read it elsewhere, if it's actually worked, etc.. Feel free to comment!

That is a very good point, that the results are often lacking. I think it often ends with "almost better," and then the person doesn't update any further.

Since you're asking about experiences--I have never had bumblefoot (that I knew of) in any chickens of mine.

If I did find bumblefoot, I would probably just butcher the chicken in question. Of course, this only works for people who are willing to eat chickens they have raised. But it certainly prevents recurrences!

(I don't usually distinguish between "meat chickens" and other chickens. I might buy a certain number of pullets with the intention of butchering half for meat and keeping the other half for egg layers. Then I butcher the one who's missing a toe, the one with such a large beard she can't see right, the one that refuses to go in the coop at night, the one that flies over the fence, and so forth. The result is an easy-care flock of layers, plus chicken meat to eat.)

I've seen many of my flock with what appears to be bumble foot.
My cockerel got it first. Tried to treat it. For months I tried different things. He still has it. Limps a bit, which I hate to see, but he seems fine. I don't know what else to do.
Now I see younger birds with it. They don't limp. I wouldn't have known they had it if I hadn't checked their feet due to the other bird having it.

That is a very good point, that the results are often lacking. I think it often ends with "almost better," and then the person doesn't update any further.

Since you're asking about experiences--I have never had bumblefoot (that I knew of) in any chickens of mine.

If I did find bumblefoot, I would probably just butcher the chicken in question. Of course, this only works for people who are willing to eat chickens they have raised. But it certainly prevents recurrences!

(I don't usually distinguish between "meat chickens" and other chickens. I might buy a certain number of pullets with the intention of butchering half for meat and keeping the other half for egg layers. Then I butcher the one who's missing a toe, the one with such a large beard she can't see right, the one that refuses to go in the coop at night, the one that flies over the fence, and so forth. The result is an easy-care flock of layers, plus chicken meat to eat.)
Well so far more people have not had it than had it according to this poll.

In terms of butchering, I don't blame you BUT it is possible for a hen to have it and you not even know. My other hen has it bad and limps, and she's lived that way for two years and is four years old. She's still one of my best layers :( Unfortunately I started with a small flock and got to know them sooooo I'm attached. The one with bad bumblefoot actively seeks a lap to sit and chill on so of course she's always been my favorite. Ugh.

I've seen many of my flock with what appears to be bumble foot.
My cockerel got it first. Tried to treat it. For months I tried different things. He still has it. Limps a bit, which I hate to see, but he seems fine. I don't know what else to do.
Now I see younger birds with it. They don't limp. I wouldn't have known they had it if I hadn't checked their feet due to the other bird having it.
Yep I'm the same at this point. I hate to see it but the birds get on okay. Still, the one has worked her way into my heart so I'm going to give treatment another go. Very frustrating.

My cockerel is also my favourite.
It's always the favourites!!
I haven't got a clue what I can do.
I wondered if it was not bumblefoot, but idk what else it could be.
What treatment are you thinking of doing?
ETA whoops, shoulda read the previous comment properly.

I have successfully treated bumble foot using Blu-Kote. First I soak the feet to get all the dirt off, then I spray with vetericyn (let dry), next spray with blu-kote (helps to open the scab slightly so it can soak into the inside) and then slather it with Neosporin. Then re-apply Blu-Kote every 2-4 days. It heals up in about 2-3 weeks (on average, depending on how bad the infection is). So far, it has worked for every one of my birds that has got it. Hope this helps. Remember to wear gloves, because it stains (not to mention the bacteria in their foot!)

I have successfully treated bumble foot using Blu-Kote. First I soak the feet to get all the dirt off, then I spray with vetericyn (let dry), next spray with blu-kote (helps to open the scab slightly so it can soak into the inside) and then slather it with Neosporin. Then re-apply Blu-Kote every 2-4 days. It heals up in about 2-3 weeks (on average, depending on how bad the infection is). So far, it has worked for every one of my birds that has got it. Hope this helps. Remember to wear gloves, because it stains (not to mention the bacteria in their foot!)
How big was the bumble? On my one hen it's about a quarter, but the other is about the size of a pencil eraser. After antibiotics it had shrunk to maybe the size of a pin head, but has since returned.

How big was the bumble? On my one hen it's about a quarter, but the other is about the size of a pencil eraser. After antibiotics it had shrunk to maybe the size of a pin head, but has since returned.

Well I'm not sure how big each one was inside of the foot, but for most of them the scabs were about the size of a pencil eraser. For a few of them the swelling was pretty severe. In those cases I tried to take some of pus out if possible to help with swelling and then spray with blukote and vetericyn, fill partial hole with neosporin, and wrap it with a band aid (or a few), replacing bandage as needed until scab forms again. Perhaps a photo would be helpful to see. I've never had the scabs quarter size, but again, I never actually saw how big the actual infection was internally.

Back
Top Bottom