Poll: How many here have actually had bumblefoot in their poultry?

How many here have actually had bumblefoot in their poultry?

• Had it -- couldn't successfully treat

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Had it -- have successfully treated in at least one bird

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • Never had it

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • What is bumblefoot?

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
I know you've used Tricide Neo. However, have you followed the instructions to the letter on how to use it to treat bumblefoot? It works if done properly. See post #2 in this link for proper instructions on how to use Tricide Neo:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-bumblefoot-with-tricide-neo.513183/
I had followed in a different link. The Tricide neo I bought was probably close to 1/2 cup of powder called to dissolve in a gallon of water and was good for seven days. I only did a once a day soak for five minutes because unfortunately my soul is sold to corporate America and I work 11 hours a day. I was unable to carve out the time for a second soak in the mornings. The once a day soak seemed to result in no changes. It was $26, not including shipping. More than I want to spend again at this point.

Keep trying.
"Bumblefoot" is basically an all encompassing term used to describe staph infection through an injury, abrasion, cut or irritated area of the foot.

With mine, I know it's caused by injury - cut by wire. Anyway. I normally just use the same of soaking/ointment and wrapping - after a couple of days wrapped, I'm able to just pull out the scab and press out any "yuck". Clean/rewrap and it heals.

This last time, the wound looked wet and mushy after a few days wrapped. I didn't like the way that looked. I re-soaked, patted dry, then swabbed just the wound with undiluted chlorhexidine, let that dry a little. I wrapped and left alone for 3 days. Unwrapping, the scab was shrunken, I was able to grab hold and pull all out - it had basically dried up. Now, this bird is kept in a relatively dry run, so his wrappings are not getting wet.
I have to wonder if keeping the bumblefoot "moist" with triple antibiotic ointment or similar and the wrapping is actually creating a more hospitable environment for the infection to flourish. It goes against what I've done in the past for sure, but this particular time keeping the foot "dry wrapped" seemed to work better. But I do think feet must stay dry, so birds that are free roaming, it may take longer for them to heal. Now, the wounds are not large like nickel or quarter either, I check his feet pretty much every day, but don't treat unless something starts looking worrisome.

I've used Triple antibiotic and neosporin ointments without any issues. Problems happen when the vet wrap or other material gets wet from nasty puddles in the pen. The germ laden water passes through the material into the wound, reinfecting it. No telling what bacteria it might be.
That's why I prefer duct tape, it's waterproof enough for the short amount of time needed for the bumblefoot to heal.

I've used Triple antibiotic and neosporin ointments without any issues. Problems happen when the vet wrap or other material gets wet from nasty puddles in the pen. The germ laden water passes through the material into the wound, reinfecting it. No telling what bacteria it might be.
That's why I prefer duct tape, it's waterproof enough for the short amount of time needed for the bumblefoot to heal.
Good idea Jim!
I remember Terry Golson using duct tape in one her blogs, I had to look it up LOL
Normally my fella keeps his feet dry, but he's known to walk through the water bowl :rolleyes:so he may have gotten his wrappings wet and I didn't catch it.

I have had probably 6 or 7 bumblefoot cases that were small and resolved easily with the soaking, scab removal, ointment and bandaging. Some took longer than others. I have had one bird in particular that had a horrible case. It's a roo, no idea if that has any bearing on it, all the others have been hens. His lesion originally was smaller than a pencil eraser, but upon removal it was not a solid core, but the stringy, ribbony stuff that goes through the foot. It was a very long time, multiple procedures and multiple antibiotics before it cleared up. Took about 12 months. The only antibiotic that worked in his case was cephalexin. Penicillin, enrofloxacin, clindamycin, tricide neo, none helped his clear up. He has been bumble free for 2 years, and last week found him once again with a bumble. Again small lesion with nasty ribbony stuff. Arghh. So this time after cleaning it out, I started cephalexin right off. It's looking better, so time will tell. I'm not expecting it to be quick based on last time. So genetically speaking, that certainly could be a factor since none of my others has been like his.

I have had probably 6 or 7 bumblefoot cases that were small and resolved easily with the soaking, scab removal, ointment and bandaging. Some took longer than others. I have had one bird in particular that had a horrible case. It's a roo, no idea if that has any bearing on it, all the others have been hens. His lesion originally was smaller than a pencil eraser, but upon removal it was not a solid core, but the stringy, ribbony stuff that goes through the foot. It was a very long time, multiple procedures and multiple antibiotics before it cleared up. Took about 12 months. The only antibiotic that worked in his case was cephalexin. Penicillin, enrofloxacin, clindamycin, tricide neo, none helped his clear up. He has been bumble free for 2 years, and last week found him once again with a bumble. Again small lesion with nasty ribbony stuff. Arghh. So this time after cleaning it out, I started cephalexin right off. It's looking better, so time will tell. I'm not expecting it to be quick based on last time. So genetically speaking, that certainly could be a factor since none of my others has been like his.
The hen that had surgery, the vet said she wasn't even confident that what she pulled out *was* the core. The foot was totally full of the slippery stringy stuff as you mentioned. Very interesting....

Thankfully we've been dry as a bone in our area. My yard is nice and dead at this point lol. With my luck though, as soon as I start bandaging I'm sure it will rain for a week!

Back
Top Bottom