Poll: What do you do with all of the cockerels you hatch or get?

What do you do with all the cockerels you hatch?

• Keep them

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Freezer camp

• Rehome them

• Be shocked they’re boys every time and freak out

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
I always rehome mine. I used to give them to a man who said he “free ranges them”, but I’m pretty sure he actually processed them. He was gentle with the birds so I felt they were in good hands even if they were going to die. I’ve given some away to a neighbor, I knew he was going to process them. I have one cockerel now that I’m giving away and I’m pretty worried because im not sure who to give it to, but he’s young so I have some time.

There are other threads on this. Personally I don't have any hatchery birds. I hatch out all of my own chicks. I usually hatch out a few hundred every year knowing around 50% MOL will be males. I do grow them out and at around 6 months old keep the best as my future breeders, the rest I sell which helps offsets the price of the feed. In the past I have processed some of them but I don't need a freezer full of chickens and have a butcher down the road so if I want any chicken or other meat, I go to the butcher. Good luck...

I breed potential show quality birds (heritage). In the past I have sold the males at shows but since most of the shows have been cancelled I have been selling them at a local farm swap. I have some buyers that buy them for resale and pay me a good price for them and I usually sell quite a few at a time.
Coronavirus.jpg

Back
Top Bottom