Pompom Duck has her eyes infected

Pics
How much cat-food per day does an Indian Runner female need to survive?
Iris ate 33 grams of cat-food today…
And she drank about one cup of water. In the morning her first poops were hard and crumbly, later in the day they started to become softer and softer and her last one was the usual duck-puddle.

Just to be on the safe side, i have ordered Amoxicillin powder and another tube of Terramycin online. I will add the Amoxicillin to the duck's supper-bowl as a precaution and for the case that somebody is hiding any eye infection.
Wanted to buy doxycyclin powder but it is sold out everywhere and i don't know about the other antibiotics that are being sold.
Dang! - That means i have to discard the duck's eggs for a month! 😣

Wow! Pompom Duck is such a loudmouth! She was threatening to rip my nose off if i ever pick her up, yet this morning she scare-pooped under her the moment she noticed me standing at the duck-house door…
What followed was the usual humon vs. duck fight with a draw as result: I was able to apply the eye-drops, but failed with the ointment. Pompom has learned how to dig herself out of the duck-burrito and then almost decapitated me with her toenails. She also bit me in my ear while i was carrying her up to the pond to join the other puddle-ducks.
Her eyes look less inflamed than yesterday, i am sure if she would agree to the same intensive care that Iris is receiving she would be a-okay by the end of the weekend.

Update on Iris Duck: She is panting. I am not sure if it is too warm for her in here (66F) or if she is in pain or fear or she has a fever. But she is drinking plenty of water, has eaten some cat-food and has pooped a lot.
Left eye still milky, but i could see her pupil in the right eye this morning. She is very sensitive to bright light on both eyes.

If she gets into water isn't she washing off the meds you just put into Her eyes?
That is the funny thing: Both ducks avoid dunking their heads in the water! Pompom bobs on the pond, splashing with her wings but does not dunk her head under. Iris just sat in the water, waiting for her underside to become soaked, then quacked to be lifted out and towel dried.

I have seen several videos on YT where poultry "eggsperts" are claiming that birds can die if they are exposed to rapid temperature changes, like being moved from the bitter cold outside into the warm house or vice versa?
What do you think about that?
I want Iris to spend the night with the other ducks in the duck-house, she really enjoys quacking with them in the evening, but the forecast for tonight is -4° (25F), that is a big difference to what we have inside.

Back
Top Bottom