Pond setups for ducks

Canna lillies do well in ponds! Cattails, water lettuce...

Also the fish don't have to be all that small, I caught my drake munching down on a 4yr old koi 😒
oh dang what breed? mine are call ducks i am hatching . use to have cayugas i wouldnt think they could scarf down a koi that big O.O ive had 2 year old koi that i think maybe a goose could take on

oh dang what breed? mine are call ducks i am hatching . use to have cayugas i wouldnt think they could scarf down a koi that big O.O ive had 2 year old koi that i think maybe a goose could take on
He's a big, fat Khaki Campbell!! He and his runner girlfriend were the demise of my pond life! The goose took care of the plants 😫

I have a large pond that we dug out with a backhoe years ago. We just let the natural vegetation take over around it and they love it. Perhaps but some minnows from a bait store...mine, and I’ve had many call ducks, love the minnows! The thing I wanted to say is that...I’m happy for your ducks. There was a short time when my ducks had to use plastic pools last summer due to snapping turtles. It was fine...they were fine. But, it does my heart wonders to see my ducks on the pond. Good luck with your new adventures with the pond and the call ducks...they sure are noisey!! :lol:

Looking for duck behavior info. Been successful for several years raising "free range" hens (a dozen). Apparently inheriting 3 fakebook ducklings (sounds like they have no flight feathers yet).

We have a 1/3ac "farm pond" about 400ft from the chicken/goat yard 4ft fence in between. Will ducks self deploy to pond when they are ready/need water? Will they return to the (chicken) coop in the evening? (LOTS of coons/eagles/hawks and some coyote in the area). We lock hens in their run/coop at night in order to keep the varmints away. We have not had problems with hen kill since we started running pygmy goats in with the chick.

Apparently all flock feed is recommended for a mixed flock vs the layer feed we now have. What other unique duck things should we know?

Back
Top Bottom