Poo Poll

Do you remove turds from nest boxes by hand?

• NEVER! That's disgusting! what's wrong with you peeps!

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Well, I don't make it a practice, but once in awhile...

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Sure, if I'm there, I'll pick one out for clean eggs!

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
I worked for two years as a CNA in the recovery ward of a small hospital. I dealt with all sorts of nasty smelling bodily fluids. Nothing bothers me any more. I'd much rather deal with a bit of chicken poo than a full canister of gastral fluid or a colostomy bag!!!

I always wear gloves and clean them out with a small garden shovel, but hey when you own a bunch of chickens and do chores you just do whatever you have to do to get stuff cleaned up right, this ain't the dang sisy factory ya know, Maybe you "urban whatever's may freak but then we expect that from you guy's LOL, Townies we call em.

AL

Gloves to clean a coop? Wow.

I grew up on a farm. Mostly barefooted. Tromping thru cow pies, horse and pig poop, goat pellets, and chicken litter. Even had leeches from the pond. Never got salmonella, hook worm, MRSA, or any other disease you are supposed to get from all that.

Now I can bare hand dog, cat, or chicken poop. Just wash the hands well. Or feet, as I step in poop barefooted sometimes. Kinda weird if it is still warm.

Dirty diapers, though, NEVER touch them. Makes me gag. Good thing I never had kids.

Quote:
You and me, peas in a pod.
tongue.png

I never use gloves, honestly, and I've always been the barefoot, barehanded kind of person. I even cook up and eat shelless eggs, which I guess lots of people thing is dangerous. Umm, if it is dangerous, I'd question the care I put into my poultry and their environment.
wink.png

Quote:
You and me, peas in a pod.
tongue.png

I never use gloves, honestly, and I've always been the barefoot, barehanded kind of person. I even cook up and eat shelless eggs, which I guess lots of people thing is dangerous. Umm, if it is dangerous, I'd question the care I put into my poultry and their environment.
wink.png

I used to wear gloves. What a loser I was. Now I use a loooong rake.
lol.png

I use a scooper if I can reach it, if not I hand-grab and fling.
tongue.png

Now, someone tell me how to get the girls to actually USE the nestboxes to lay. I only have 1 that does and I'm soooo tired of dirty floor eggs!
tongue.gif

I need to get a few cat litter strainer scoop sorta things, one for my coop, one for the land owner's coop, and one for the cat litter box upstairs. And each one will have a nail/screw to hang from, Yes I've done that cat litter box "by hand" while he was gone because there's no scoop. I'll do what needs to be done for animal cleanliness, but a scoop is nice to have if one can arrange it.
roll.png

If I see one in the nest box, I usually pick it out. However this depends on my mood. Sometimes I don't bother. If it's a gooey one, I cover it with wood shavings from a cleanish bit of litter, but can't quite face picking it up. Never had a problem with dirty eggs. I think chicken poo is really not bad at all. That said I wouldn't touch a caecal poo with a barge pole. ewww stinky....makes me gag
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom