Poo Poll

Do you remove turds from nest boxes by hand?

• NEVER! That's disgusting! what's wrong with you peeps!

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Well, I don't make it a practice, but once in awhile...

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Sure, if I'm there, I'll pick one out for clean eggs!

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
I do it all the time, A little chicken turd aint nothin, and is surely not the worst thing I've ever had on my hands. I'm a mom of 3 and I have been peed on, pooped on and puked on many a times!
wee.gif

Quote:
celebrate.gif
..way to go--with kids and pets -----
sickbyc.gif
------you've been in the trenches of family life...
thumbsup.gif

DITTO! I'm just glad I'm not the only poo picker!
bow.gif

What an interesting and revealing poll, I love it. My first response would have been, "Yuk, no way", but after reading other responses and having given it more thought, I'll probably do it too. I get my 10 peeps in Early April. This will be my second experience with poultry and have been looking forward to doing it again since my first experience in 1975. I'll start with hens, mixed batch of 2 each. Keep up the interestic topics, what a site!

I don't keep hand sanitizer in my pocket, and I'll still pick up poo. I pick it up out of my coop bedding too (the solid stuff). No big deal to me. I do wear a latex glove when I do a run clean out though, and when I pick up great dane piles from the yard...lol.

Yes-I have 1 or 2 girls that insist on sleeping in the nest boxes so I clean out the poo so the eggs are clean. There are also a few that like to sit in the boxes before and after laying (seems like for 1-2 hours total) so there is almost always a 2nd round of poo cleaning each day!

I have two hens that lay during the night/early morning. Finding bird bombs is a normal occasion in the nesting box. Heck, my whole yard is covered in them when it isn't raining. But my lawnmower takes care of that. Anyways, my hens used to sit on the roosting board and drop the eggs at night. Talk about being lost in a turd jungle, yuck. Now that they have sense enough to go into the nesting box when egg laying is a possibility, I can deal with the odd goldball sized wad of compost. Plus, if I let the bird bombs sit in the pine shavings long enough, they will just compost into the richest potting soil know to man. Not only does it feel like potting soil, it smells like it as well.

I keep a cat-box scoop in the coop, hanging on a nail, along with a large dustpan. Makes for very easy cleanup and drop it into the compost.
For those of you who use disposeable gloves, please consider switching to something that's not single use plastic. You will save money, make less garbage and go easier on the planet.

We keep a mini hand shovel next to the nest boxes for this reason, but i don't pick them up by hand. Well sometimes I'll scoop it and a bit of shavings by hand, but I never touch the poop.

Last edited:
Very rarely is there poop in the nest box, but if there is one, I use a cat litter scooper that I keep together with a dust pan right next to the nest box. I clean off the poop board below the roost using these utensils also and there is a poop bucket in the coop to dump it all in. To clean the run I use a long-handled (upright) dust pan and a little brush rake to rake up the poop. Works great - no dirty hands!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom