Poo Poll

Do you remove turds from nest boxes by hand?

• NEVER! That's disgusting! what's wrong with you peeps!

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Well, I don't make it a practice, but once in awhile...

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Sure, if I'm there, I'll pick one out for clean eggs!

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Quote:
Ditto!

I don't get much poo in my boxes, as I keep them really clean but:
If it's dry, I'll pick it out.

If it's wet, I'll use a little sand shovel.

If it's broody poo, I'll use a BIG sand shovel with "oh this is so nasty" comments.

Quote:
BA HA HA!
lol.png

I use tongs to pick up the poop and the straw it's on. Unfortunately, my hens both lay and sleep in the coop and don't use the nesting boxes (wish they did).

You can keep a kitty litter scoop in your coop for quick clean-ups. I have one hanging on a nail inside. It takes shavings with it but I would scoop shavings anyway if using my hand.
tongue.png

Chicken poo, disgusting???? Only if it's broody/cecal poop. My three bantams winter in a heated, insulated dog house with an attached run (large iguana cage on it's side) on our wind-paneled front porch. I keep a can there to drop nest or damp run poops into--of course by hand! After all, sometimes they need their vents cleaned, dogs need picky glands squeezed, orphaned wildlife needs maggots picked out, life goes on! My house has running water and soap, so no biggie! Do non-poop pickers wear gloves to garden? You're missing out on life's tactile pleasures! You haven't lived until you've stuck your fingers in a bloated road-kill 'possum's pouch to see if there are babies to rescue! Pheww!!!
lol.png

Oh, yeah--Oklahoma--I'm a city girl, and have played in blood in guts since I was a child!
tongue.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
Been a vet and human surgery nurse for almost 40 years now--go figure!

Last edited:
I keep a garden trowel by the coop door - so I can easily pick out the pieces and fling it right into the composter. But.... I have been known to "dust" a piece of dried poop away with my hand if it's near the door...

6chicks&aduck :

I always wear gloves when cleaning so not a prob for me !
tongue.png

Me too! But I have picked it up with just shavings when I was in a hurry. NO poo in the nest box!!​

Back
Top Bottom