Poo Poll

Do you remove turds from nest boxes by hand?

• NEVER! That's disgusting! what's wrong with you peeps!

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Well, I don't make it a practice, but once in awhile...

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Sure, if I'm there, I'll pick one out for clean eggs!

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Quote:
Good point! I garden bare handed, not only is there chicken poo in there, but earthworm poo too! Yucky on the possum's pouch though - I bet it's warm and slimey feeling in there.

I however, draw the line at expressing my dog's glands. No way, nuhuh, no how, not happenin.............EVER. I've seen that stuff that comes out and I think it's more nasty than broody poo! (not to mention the smell!) A $20 trip to the vet is well worth it.

I really don't have problems with this. I replace the hay in the boxes often and hose them out once a week. I usually don't have to pick it out by hand.

Glad to know there's support out there for picking out by hand. I naturally do it that way because I'm too lazy to go and get gloves and what's a bit of poo? I always wash my hands with Dr Bronners before dealing with their food (or mine!) though.

I can say I do this more than I like, as some of my gals love to roost at night in their laying boxes, drives me bonkers.

A little poop never hurt, and is most certainly not the worst kind of poop I've ever had on my hands, being a mother and avid animal lover for many years.

Not only do I pick up all the poo from the coop, I also sometimes go around the run with a trowel and scoop in into a bucket. All the poo goes into a composter with the attached shavings, eventually to head to my gardens. I mix ash from my woodstove with the shavings to compensate for the acidity, and all is well. Nobody in my household thinks it's weird that I pick up poo by hand. It's not like dog poo, after all.

Daily I use a cat scooper to clean out my coop... scoop, shake and discard.... leaves behind the clean shavings and the hens and eggs are fresh
smile.png

I not only pick poo out of the nest boxes, but also off of my poor baby silkie's butt. She is so cute. She is my baby, and I would do just about any poo duty for her. Lol. What can I say?!
tongue.png

I don't find chicken manure in my nest boxes. Mine are cleaned once a week with fresh shavings added.

I am a POOP connoisseur .
th.gif
I bare hand various turds 7 days a week. I work for a vet and set up and examine poop samples from all creatures great and small. I wash my hands a bazillion times a day. If I ever feel the urge to "scoot my butt on the carpet" perhaps I will begin to wear gloves.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom