Pool

you could set up a pool like this though so the chickens feet cool down and then the rest of the body does
1627510981606.png

Would a pool be useful in a coop on hot days?
I don't know what your coop looks like, I'd be hesitant to put it in the coop itself from the risk of getting the coop wet. If you have a shady spot outside that might be better.

A few of mine like to stand in their water bowls on days that it gets that hot. Most don't but a few do. They do not swim in it or get that deep, basically the water just covers their feet. You don't want the water too hot, obviously. I would not consider that a solution for the whole flock but a few might take advantage of it. When it is that hot I don't worry about the run getting wet. It won't stay wet long enough to cause problems. On those hot days I hose down part of the run in the shade to give them a cooler place to take a dust bath or just lay there. Again, not everybody takes advantage of that but several do.

One down side to having a pool or bowl of water in there is that they will poop in it so you need to empty it regularly. I'm not sure how easy it might be to clean out your pool.

I don't know what your coop looks like, I'd be hesitant to put it in the coop itself from the risk of getting the coop wet. If you have a shady spot outside that might be better.

A few of mine like to stand in their water bowls on days that it gets that hot. Most don't but a few do. They do not swim in it or get that deep, basically the water just covers their feet. You don't want the water too hot, obviously. I would not consider that a solution for the whole flock but a few might take advantage of it. When it is that hot I don't worry about the run getting wet. It won't stay wet long enough to cause problems. On those hot days I hose down part of the run in the shade to give them a cooler place to take a dust bath or just lay there. Again, not everybody takes advantage of that but several do.

One down side to having a pool or bowl of water in there is that they will poop in it so you need to empty it regularly. I'm not sure how easy it might be to clean out your pool.
Yes I thought about how messy it would get and having to clean it out. I like your suggestions. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom