Poop and/or Umbilical Cord On Chick’s Butt

A7431CF8-ECA5-42AA-9817-3B00F8471EDF.jpeg

I was able to remove all clumps with the soaking and wiping with a Q-tip. Does it look clear? Should I expect more Pasty Butt for this chick?

Make sure your brooder temp is correct, being too warm or too cold can cause pasty butt. Getting chilled during transport can do it too. 95 degrees in the warmest spot the first week, and drop by 5 degrees weekly. And make sure they can move in and out of the heat as necessary. I would also give that chick about a teaspoon of coconut oil, since it seems to be struggling to expel droppings. That will help get things moving. Chill the coconut oil until firm and then break it into small peices and put in the beak and let it swallow.

When I have seen pasty butt on shipped or feed store chicks, it usually does happen more than once. I inspect vents at least once a day. Glad that you got it cleaned off, and sorry that I thought it was the umbilicus.

I applied Vaseline around the vent, although I’m curious about how that works since it seems rather sticky...wouldn't that mean poop and shavings are more likely to stick?

If any droppings stick to the vaseline you will be able to easily remove them, rather than having them stick to the fragile skin and tissue of the vent. Makes keeping them cleaned up much, much easier and less likely to do any tissue damage. It really can be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom