Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

OK, I built a poop board put chicken wire over it to keep them out but up to a board so I can scoop, and put two boards over it for roosting with a couple of boards for crossing over. Will two boards that are the same height work, or does one have to be higher?

While I loved my poop deck for less than 10 chickens, I switch this spring to a ladder style roost with a poop hammock. I just sprinkle a 1/2C of pdz and lift out to empty once a week. Since I have over 20+, it was a space issue. You can find pics on Pinterest. If you go with metal it will allow the poop to freeze solid in winter, keep the pdz deep.

Do you have a picture of your setup? I have 2 coops and wanted to use poop boards for both, but I'm not sure. One is an 8x8 shed and the other is a raised 6x6 with exterior next boxes and the coop is tough to clean (small door, can't stand up, and off the ground- can't reach across so have to climb inside it. I hate cleaning that coop. I may do poop boards under the 2 roosts if they will fit and still allow access to nest boxes and then potentially I could rake the poop to where I could reach to sift it out. Does anyone else have a similar setup?
Thanks

OK, I built a poop board put chicken wire over it to keep them out but up to a board so I can scoop, and put two boards over it for roosting with a couple of boards for crossing over. Will two boards that are the same height work, or does one have to be higher?

There is no need to put chicken wire over it! that will make it harder to clean and the chickens will get their feet caught in it.

I was going to put the wire several inches under the bar because some people said their birds walked or tried baths in the pdz. Yuck
Not good for them to walk on chicken wire...just keep the pdz only about 1/2" deep and they'll much less likely to bathe in it.

Last edited:
Not good for them to walk on chicken wire...just keep the pdz only about 1/2" deep and they'll much less likely to bathe in it.

One of my girls will bathe in it only just after I clean it, I think it's cute and she can do it all she wants!

how/why would they walk on it? I planned to put it several inches above the board, but below the roost boards a couple of inches and they have a ramp to the first roost board. I will leave it out, it just sounded like a way to keep them off the board

Considering I had one land on my head while I was building the nest boxes, maybe why with chickens is just not the question. How about coated wire?

Quote:

Considering I had one land on my head while I was building the nest boxes, maybe why with chickens is just not the question. How about coated wire?
Exactly! lol

Not sure why you are concerned with them walking on the poop/board.......poop will end up stuck to the wire and that will not be fun to clean off.

Exactly! lol

Not sure why you are concerned with them walking on the poop/board.......poop will end up stuck to the wire and that will not be fun to clean off.
well, someone in this strain mentioned birds walking in it an spreading it everywhere which sounded like it defeated the purpose and there will be days with my 65 hour work week I won't get to it.

Back
Top Bottom