Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Thespoiledchicken, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Donna Lynn

Donna Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Holy Cow! I checked the shipping on the Horse Fresh at the above listed web site. Great price on the Horse Fresh but the shipping is $34.99 to California where I live. [​IMG] I'm really hoping that the feed store gets the shipment in this week. They've been having problems with their supplier! [​IMG]

2. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    We were able to pick up a 25# bag at our local feed store...I think it was about $12 or so. I looked online too, and the issue with getting stuff that weighs so much is always the shipping :( Seems it often costs more than the product! Sheesh.

3. Colton

Colton Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2012
    Western WI
    Our roosts combined is about 22' - 23'. I have 15 ladies and a big proud roo. Ideally, give your chickens 6" - 18" depending on size. Usually, like my chickens, they will roost together and getclose to each other. So then they only use up about half of my roosts. I made some extra room in case I wnat to get some more birds. I haven't finished yet because my dad has the tools I need. I made the bottom of the poop catcher, as I call it, 30 in. wide, with the roost directly above the middle of the poop catcher. I have a larger coop so mine is pretty big. 15' is the length of my poop catcher.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  4. Colton

Aug 27, 2012
    Western WI
    Brucepierce-

If I was you I would probably make my roost 4-5 ft, it could be a little smaller if you don't have room in your coop. I would probably make it 5 ft in case you decide you want to get a coulple more chickens. But if you're only going have 6 chickens, 4 ft. should be enough.

5. jrsckn

jrsckn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Mid-Michigan
    My 24 birds all snuggle together on 4' of roost and poop board 24"deep in 3-4 rows rather than spread out over the 16' I have provided (plus I have a 4' long by 1' wide ladder they can roost on). Fourteen are 25 weeks and 10 are 15 weeks so I'm hoping they'll spread out a bit when they get older but I'm not holding my breath lol.

6. Donna Lynn

Yay! Yay! Yay! It finally came in. I got my PDZ and DE today. Can't wait to put it in the coop. Gotta wait DH to get home since I'm not allowed to lift that kind of poundage after neck surgery. sigh... I'm a happy chicken mom! [​IMG]

7. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Pssst...you could carefully open a slit in the bag and scoop some out in a plastic container. LOL

8. twinzmom

twinzmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Saugerties NY
    I have been using the PDZ for several months and it is the best thing going! A co-worker was commenting to me about the noise of the flies in his coop and couldn't believe I didn't have a fly problem in mine. There is virtually no odor coming out of it either. I am extremely thankful to the OP for this thread! Flies gross me out more than almost anything else so I am a very happy chicken owner!

9. Colton

Aug 27, 2012
    Western WI
    I can't wait to get mine finished. Dad said we'll finish tomorrow morn. Can't wait!![​IMG]

10. Donna Lynn

LOL, then I'd have to carry the container. Nothing over about 20 lbs. Really irritates me that I have all these back & neck issues. I just have too much to do! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by