Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
That explains it!

Although, it's funny. I went to the coop to check on the girls after I wrote that and started cleaning the PDZ in the poop board pans. One of them had "small poops" last night, and it kept falling through the kitty litter scooper. It made me think about this thread. Maybe I should have a "back up". LOL
Yup, I made one from this ... http://www.amazon.com/Rolodex-22131...370355275&sr=8-5&keywords=mesh+desk+organizer

On post # 882 I added a link to my video of cleaning the coop.

Last edited:
I use a metal scoop made for cleaning reptile bedding. I found them on eBay, but the pet store in town had them for less. It was about $7, WELL worth the investment for the convenience, let me tell ya!

Ok, I've had poopboards in my coop with pdz for almost 2 years now and I'm a total convert. I'm in the process of building another coop and as I'm starting this one from scratch wanted to know how wide y'all make your boards from wall to front if you have two parallel roosts?

In my old coop I have an old countertop as poopshelf and it's 30" I think or a bit more. Would you make it wider? 30" about in the ballpark if you want to catch all poop? Whadday'all think?

Here's a picture of the design. It's a 10'x14' building that's divided into two identical coops so that I can keep separate flocks if I want or isolate birds if needed. Please critique setup. I have drawn the boards in at 2' but am now thinking it may not be wide enough if I want two parallel roosts.

Last edited:
I have 16 birds and 3 galvanized pans filled with PDZ (2 - 36" x 30" x 1 1/2" and 1 - 36" x 24" x 1 1/2") for a total width of 84" and they stick out from the wall 36". I have two roosts. First one is 12" from the wall. The second is 24" from the wall. The girls haven't missed the mark yet. BTW...I did it this way because they don't seem to care which direction they roost in.

Here's a pic taken about 5 minutes after I put them in their new coop. You can see the poop board set up. The poop board is about 2 1/2' off the floor. The lower roost is about 3 1/2' high and the upper roost is about 4 1/2' high. The roosts lift straight up and are removable. Makes for much easier cleaning.

Last edited:
Ok, I've had poopboards in my coop with pdz for almost 2 years now and I'm a total convert. I'm in the process of building another coop and as I'm starting this one from scratch wanted to know how wide y'all make your boards from wall to front if you have two parallel roosts?

In my old coop I have an old countertop as poopshelf and it's 30" I think or a bit more. Would you make it wider? 30" about in the ballpark if you want to catch all poop? Whadday'all think?

Here's a picture of the design. It's a 10'x14' building that's divided into two identical coops so that I can keep separate flocks if I want or isolate birds if needed. Please critique setup. I have drawn the boards in at 2' but am now thinking it may not be wide enough if I want two parallel roosts.

I'm far from knowing all this stuff, but I might add my thoughts anyway! Considering that 1 adult hen/rooster may be up to 15 inches from beak to bum when roosting - and you have 2 roosts, one above the other - wouldn't you want to make the poop board a little wider, like say 32-36" so that the top ones don't drop their poop on the bottom hen's heads or tails, depending on which way they're facing? That's about 7" of hen on each side of the roost pole, so they would miss for sure!

Mine don't all roost the same direction, either. We have 2 separate poo-boards in a very small 6x6 coop. They are on opposite sides of the coop, one roost over each with 15 hens and 1 roo. Each poo-board is about 24" deep and nothing hits the floor during the night! This is looking from the door going in from the run.
This is the opposite side, also looking in from the run.

Nothing fancy, for sure, but it does the job! Wish we had more space but don't so I guess the chickens adapt.

Your coop design is great!

Back
Top Bottom