Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
Hi all. I wanted to give an update to my sliding poop drawer. We got a chance to paint it and put the trim/handles on and it looks pretty nice!

View of the drawer closed from the outside.

View of the drawer open. Pretty low profile.

Wow. Some master craftmanship happening here. It is very eye-pleasing and so practical, too.
I think the only thing I might add...just because I feel so safety-conscious these days....would be a complicated latch on each side...because raccoons are very smart little
trouble-makers:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...nyAQ&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p<br><br>Most

Even humans have a hard time with this if they have never encountered it before. I one on my chicken door and I'm adding at least one other there.

-Missa

I haven't read this whole thing, just about half of it, but great stuff!

Haven't seen an answer to my question so here goes:

I live in Australia and we can't get sweet PDZ here. Any thoughts on alternatives? I'm setting up my new coop as we speak, and already have the materials for the board. Just need something to put in it!

HELP ME PLEASE!
big_smile.png

You can get it in Australia as I went to a pet expo back at the start of this year and they were showing it then. I have a panphlet somewhere I will see if I can find it. It was being advertised as bedding litter for cats and small animals.

Sweety 13, very nice. I love the space economy with the brooder box below.

Can you tell me the name of the company that makes "Horse Fresh'. I was looking for the product on the internet and was unable to finds it. It is half the price of Sweet PDZ.
(wondering if it is also zeolite)

Thanks!

I was quoting debir1966, that is her awesome setup :)

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC. I haven't been here really long but just love this forum.

Could you do a search on 'zeolite' to see if the product is there under another brand name? (you would need granules or powder)
Barring that, I guess I would use sand mixed with some diatomaceous earth. This will not kill the smell the same way zeolite will but you can use it like clumping kitty litter.

I haven't looked into the possibility of clumping kitty litter as an alternative. But I would really want to research that first....especially in terms of safety for the birds. Usually those are pretty heavy, but for my cat I have been using a corn-cob kitty litter (Arm & Hammer makes it here) It is light.....but again....it doesn't disarm the ammonia and the smell from it.

Also, I wanted to find out which is the best sand to use for runs and such, because apparently not all sand is OK for chickens. Maybe someone else has a suggestion, too??
Thanks for your help and the welcome! I've done just as you advised and found a nearby outlet for zeolite. Not sure if it's powder or granules? It is sold here in Perth as a soil improver for our sandy soils.

You can get it in Australia as I went to a pet expo back at the start of this year and they were showing it then. I have a panphlet somewhere I will see if I can find it. It was being advertised as bedding litter for cats and small animals.

Thanks much Sessieau! I couldn't find it here in Perth, but things always show up 'over east' well before they make it across the Nullarbor!
tongue.png

I will continue to keep an eye out for it. Great to see a fellow Aussie on the forums!
clap.gif

I'm working on my coop in a couple of days and may try to post a few pics of my setup if I have time. Thanks for the quick help!

Wow. Some master craftmanship happening here. It is very eye-pleasing and so practical, too.
I think the only thing I might add...just because I feel so safety-conscious these days....would be a complicated latch on each side...because raccoons are very smart little
trouble-makers:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...nyAQ&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p<br><br>Most

Even humans have a hard time with this if they have never encountered it before. I one on my chicken door and I'm adding at least one other there.

-Missa

Thanks! I'm quite happy with everything so far. As for the lock we will probably take your advice and use a latch with a carabiner like we did on the other sections. Our thought was due to how heavy the drawer is that a raccoon would have a pretty hard time getting it open and wedging himself through but it is probably best to have some extra security!

I am now attempting to build my own poop board contraption. I made it from scratch and with a handsaw. It was a TON of work.
ep.gif
I dont mean to brag but for me only being 13, i'd say i did a pretty good job.I'm almost finished all i have to do is put the plywood in and get some sweet PDX from the feedmill/co-op. Can't wait to FINISH!!!!

Back
Top Bottom