Poop "Board" Question

frjeff

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 1, 2011
Northern Michigan
I am going to be using aluminum flat bakers trays as my poop boards. I have an exterior hatch where I can slide them out for cleaning.
Question: should I put some sort of barrier (chicken wire, whatever) to separate the main floor bedding from the poop trays to keep the hens from wandering into the poo poo?

I use the top of my brooder as a droppings board but it doesn't go all the way across, so I got a couple of plastic bins from Walmart and set those on the floor at the open area. Those are not covered. Sometimes the chickens walk in them, scratch in them, and peck in them. It does not harm them in any way as long as it is kept dry. If they get wet, yes, that would be a cesspool of problems, but as long as it is dry, it's not an issue.

Chickens poop in the coop and run. They walk in that poop, scratch it, and peck at it. It's how they share probiotics and develop flock immunities. Wet is a problem, but as long as it is not wet, it is good for them. It strengthens their immune system with probiotics and help in building immunities. Unless they are getting in it and scratching it out on the coop floor, I see no reason to cover your trays.

In addition to ridgerunner's excellent input.....
Are you planning to use sand/PDZ/etc on the trays? It can really help keep the poo from caking onto the trays and making it easier to just scoop or "tap" off vs. having to scrape. It also helps to dry the poo and cut down the "tracking" issue of poo getting on feet and smeared all over if/when the birds do wander through it.

In addition to ridgerunner's excellent input.....
Are you planning to use sand/PDZ/etc on the trays? It can really help keep the poo from caking onto the trays and making it easier to just scoop or "tap" off vs. having to scrape. It also helps to dry the poo and cut down the "tracking" issue of poo getting on feet and smeared all over if/when the birds do wander through it.

Great info guys. Yes, either sand or PDZ on the trays.

Jeff

In the pic above this, to me, is the ideal roost/poop tray setup. They have used PDZ in the roost tray which, trust me, is the most fabulous stuff EVER and makes your coop smell SO good! You just take a wire strainer and 'sift' the poops, smooth out the PDZ and you're ready to go once again..easy-peasie!

Here is a short video showing just exactly how easy cleanup can be:

0.jpg

I just noticed something about your roost area...it looks like the roost bar is "forward" of your trays setup...I don't think your flock can "aim" that good. Unless I'm mistaken you need to move your roost bar back so it's more or less centered over the poop board.

Another thing...if I'm seeing correctly, your poop board slides out toward the left? That's a great option. With that said, me personally? I'd ditch those cookie sheets, lay a remnant piece of linoleum in the whole tray and use PDZ as your base material...you'll love PDZ for sure!

I just noticed something about your roost area...it looks like the roost bar is "forward" of your trays setup...I don't think your flock can "aim" that good. Unless I'm mistaken you need to move your roost bar back so it's more or less centered over the poop board.

Another thing...if I'm seeing correctly, your poop board slides out toward the left? That's a great option. With that said, me personally? I'd ditch those cookie sheets, lay a remnant piece of linoleum in the whole tray and use PDZ as your base material...you'll love PDZ for sure!

There are two roost boards. The one in the pic is the lower of the two and is thus forward of the upper. I can move them back a bit if necessary, but I believe they will "hit it" if they face away from the trays. We shall see.
Heritage RIR and heritage Barred Plymouth Rock to be living here soon.

In the pic above this, to me, is the ideal roost/poop tray setup. They have used PDZ in the roost tray which, trust me, is the most fabulous stuff EVER and makes your coop smell SO good! You just take a wire strainer and 'sift' the poops, smooth out the PDZ and you're ready to go once again..easy-peasie!

Here is a short video showing just exactly how easy cleanup can be:

0.jpg

I agree. The setup shown looks idea. I didn't have the space. So, here is my version of the same setup;

My chicks are just about 7 weeks old. Once they get a bit older, I will raise the entire shelf and roost board. Then, they can also have the space under the poop board.

Mty board/pan is filled with PDZ. The scooping IS very easy.

, but I believe they will "hit it" if they face away from the trays.
there in lies your potential problem, which way they face. Remember, they're chickens so they don't live by the same rules as us. What we think is the correct way to do something is not what they think it is.

You will probably find they face in both directions on both roosts.

Back
Top Bottom