Poop boards

FWIW Using PDZ on the poop boards eliminates the chisel/hammer requirement although there is a minimal depth that is required in order to eliminate "poop lock down"; about 1/2" is what I find is necessary. Less that that most waste is easily picked up but anything watery will go into lock down. Even then I am usually able to get it off with a metal scarper.

I have 25 birds and find that I need to add a bag every 6-8 weeks.
Doesn't work this way in my coop. If I try to increase the thickness of the PDZ layer, the girls get it in their heads to dust bathe on the boards. I just can't take that!

Doesn't work this way in my coop. If I try to increase the thickness of the PDZ layer, the girls get it in their heads to dust bathe on the boards. I just can't take that!

Interesting, I do not have this problem although am quite aware that the personalities of our birds is as varied as the personalities of members on BYC. Some of mine do peck at the PDZ particularly after I have cleaned in the morning, not sure why that is but do not worry since PDZ is simply processed volcanic rock.

I do have largish dust baths both in the run and coop, these get used on a regular basis by most of my flock. I use sand, stove ash and sulphur (part of my mite deterrent program) in the baths.

Interesting, I do not have this problem although am quite aware that the personalities of our birds is as varied as the personalities of members on BYC. Some of mine do peck at the PDZ particularly after I have cleaned in the morning, not sure why that is but do not worry since PDZ is simply processed volcanic rock.

I do have largish dust baths both in the run and coop, these get used on a regular basis by most of my flock. I use sand, stove ash and sulphur (part of my mite deterrent program) in the baths.
My birds dig holes all around the run and bathe there.
2CAA8E144D14_1576340907409.png

Their built-in dust bath was heavily used until they brought up all the gravel I laid down as a base.
IMG_20190727_141629183.jpg

They have NO excuse to be using the poop boards to bathe in!!! One of the chicks in the above image is the one that started it all when she grew up. She's a little turd. ALWAYS getting into things and starting mischief.

Last edited:
@DobieLover "They have NO excuse to be using the poop boards to bathe in!!! One of the chicks in the above image is the one that started it all when she grew up. She's a little turd. ALWAYS getting into things and starting mischief."

I like your run area!

I agree that they have no excuse but as we know they have their own thoughts on what is appropriate. Guessing it does not reduce the enjoyment that you get from them.

I put small dresser drawers under the roosts. (Big ones would get to heavy.) Large dresser drawers make good feed scratch boxes, they can kick the food about and it stays in the dresser.

I lowered the roost for the winter, to get the birds' heads way below any cross draft. They can walk under the roost, but a poop board would be out of the question. I'm going to move the roost back up when it's warmer, and then install a poop board. Last year I used poop mats, and they were ok, but a board will work better.

Back
Top Bottom