pooped out pure blood?

Denisemomof4

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 29, 2011
my daughter plays with the hens in her tree house. She's almost 12 and is very good with animals, so no suspected injury. She said the hen squatted down to poop and pure blood came out. I ran to see, and yes, it's the size of a loose stool but pure blood. Because my sick chick had some blood in her stool, I decided to treat ALL my chickens again to be safe. I just treated the chicks with corid a month ago, but decided to treat ALL chicks and chickens again to be safe.

Then I read here that pure blood can't be cocci.

I only have 3 days left for a week of treatment so I'm going to continue to be safe. PLEASE answer these questions:

If not cocci, what could the pure blood be? Her second stool there had some blood and they appear normal now.

Since giving all hens corid, how long do I throw away the eggs?

Thanks everyone!

Have you wormed them lately?? Any chance it could be something red she ate?? Berries or what not?? Sorry, I don't know the egg withdrawal time for corrid.

Last edited:
Quote:
although I'm treating for coccidiois, I really don't think that's what it is. The blood was pure, 100% blood, NO stool at all. Justa puddle of blood. She was acting normal when this happened.

Quote:
that is an AWESOME resource! Thanks!

No, none of them looked like her "stool" It literally looked like a vein had spilled some blood onto the floor. Nothing else, just blood.

I have not wormed and am going to do this.

Quote:
but would she be acting fine? This happened THursday and she's still acting fine.

Truthfully, I only knew mine was eggbound when I found it in the nest already dead. If it's not happening anymore after the Cocci treatment, I wouldn't worry about it. There is no withdrawal period with Corid. Corid I think is a Thiamine inhibitor, so there is no drug interaction. WOw, I sounded smart there

Back
Top Bottom