poopy butt

Catfishingpokey

Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Albany, Tx
I have a little quail that is about a week old and last night and this morning he had a lot of poop stuck to his butt.I have cleaned him off but it keeps coming back what can i do to get this to stop happening?

While doing that i noticed that he has a hard knot inside the vent i compared him to one of the others and he is diferent from them.what is your thought on this?

he hasnt been around anything but 28% game bird feed that i run through the blender before i give it to them.so i dont know what it could be.

When the poo cakes on the butt, it can cause the chick to back up and impact inside. Eventually it can kill them. Hopefully you caught it in time, sounds like you did. IME it always seems that once a chick gets a poopy butt it seems chronic until the real feathers come in. So keep checking and cleaning.

Bandana told me to use olive oil after cleaning and drying. That worked like a charm and didn't add a petroleum product into the mix. I did have to wash that one chick three times but after that and the olive oil, no problems.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom