Poopy egg and poopy butts???

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Anyone know why I'd be getting a poopy egg? It's only this hen. I could understand the occasional poopy egg in the old set up as it was small and semi muddy but this one they've only been in a week and the nestboxes are perfectly clean. No other hen has this issue. Yet hers are not only a little poop but covered in it fairly consistently.

But the other weird thing is a bunch of them have poopy butts but yet no other eggs are dirty since being in the new coop.

I noticed maybe a few months ago some had white on their butts, like dried poop, and I eventually looked closer and discovered most of them had a lot more poop, like actual poop, stuck closer but not clogging the vent. I tried to wipe it off one but it was so much and dried on. They seem to have gotten a little better being able to actually dust bathe all day every day but I do still plan on giving them each an epsom salt bath and maybe a dose of oil or ACV or something. Forget the exact treatment plan I read, have it bookmarked.

ANYWAY.

I feel like awful chicken parent for leaving them like that but I have been so busy with school and taking 4 classes that I haven't had the time to give them all a bath. And since it was not totally blocking the vent, the eggs are clean (and they're still laying), and none are acting sick, I figured it can wait.

But now I am done after this week and should be able to give them the bath maybe this weekend.

But that is the other weird thing, they are all acting 100% normal. So it's VERY weird.

Although I'm only getting 4 eggs a day atm, not sure if that's normal? Out of 7.

I was thinking of worming them but don't want to do so unnecessarily or have to deal with the egg withdrawal period and throw good eggs away. But I will if necessary.

But it's just so frustrating because, like I said, they are all acting healthy and mostly laying so it makes it very hard to diagnose and treat!

I just want my girls to be happy and healthy and this is upsetting me. They have never in two and a half years been sick except maybe for leg mites which I treated and am going to treat again just to be sure. But they're never sick.

And now all of a sudden they get poopy bums and poopy eggs but yet act healthy..... a real mystery.

Please help. :(

20180508_095143.jpg 20180508_095136.jpg

Oh and btw they just moved into a new coop and run a week ago.

The old one was just a TSC coop kit inside a 6x12 dog kennel, much to small, but it was a temporary thing for when they were chicks, but we finally finished the new coop and moved them. The new coop is 4x8

I had a hen that was acting normal and was laying poopy eggs with a poopy fluffybutt too. I decided to give them all a trim since I had some spare time and discovered it was way worse than I thought and I felt horrible. I bathed her butt and got all the poop off and trimmed the poopy feathers and she was fine. Try bathing a couple of the worst ones every now and then and you’ll make progress. It’s not really a “disease” that can be diagnosed, but should be taken care of.

I had a hen that was acting normal and was laying poopy eggs with a poopy fluffybutt too. I decided to give them all a trim since I had some spare time and discovered it was way worse than I thought and I felt horrible. I bathed her butt and got all the poop off and trimmed the poopy feathers and she was fine. Try bathing a couple of the worst ones every now and then and you’ll make progress. It’s not really a “disease” that can be diagnosed, but should be taken care of.

Thanks! I'll try that. I'm thinking of possibly bathing them once or a few times and see if that fixes it and then if not worry about it?

I'v read several times it can be a sign if worms. Wormed ur chickens lately!

I've never wormed them before. Should I?

Good point, I should worm my girl too!

What do you worm with?

I have a pill medication that I use. Unfortunately I forget the name of it though.

Ah okay. Is it safe?

Also, I can't remember what this was meant to cure but I've heard of some people putting a couple drops of ivermectin on the neck? Is that wormer or something else?

And I think I read horse wormer could be used? Just a tiny bit of course. Or not?

Back
Top Bottom