Poor Chick

bhumphrey60

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 11, 2014
Near Eaton, Ohio
We incubated chickens for the first time this year. We had thirteen successful hatchings and then we had a chick that was apparently the result of a double yolk egg ( we had candled it and could not detect it was ). We were devastated. We don't know what to do. Please help ! He or she has an extra set of legs and from what we have observed ( via excrement ) also has two vents. Is there any hope for this chick ? Should we take him or her to a small animal vet? He or she is three days old.

I don't think the vet can do much with the chick, if it was born that way. I would let it be, if it is eating and drinking and passing out feces, I would continue to treat it like the others. Sometimes chickens with strange things survive. In any event the yolk would sustain him/her for at least 3 days. Keep an eye on it and if it is meant to be, it will be.

Your hope should be that they stay healthy, remember, they are part of the little one. So you want all of the chick to remain healthy. Kind of like when you see Siamese twins, you want the whole body to be in good health. I would say don't worry too much. This chick is kind of of Siamese twins. You must have heard of other animals that grow to live a full live like cows with 5 or 6 legs. I would say, you do your best to give it a good chance of life and let it take its own course. If it grows to be an adult chicken, you surely would have something very special to tall about and teach us something and may be even share pictures of your chicken. Think positively, it can make miracles happen.

We have already witnessed a miracle that this chick survived its first day ( to be honest the first day was a teeter-totter between are we letting this creature suffer and should we end it now ) . Thank you for your words. He or she has a drive to survive. We can only pray for it.

Back
Top Bottom