Poor, poor Chi-Chi :(

ally.alli.ally

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
hit.gif

hit.gif

hit.gif

I just found my favorite teen-aged silkie dead- Chi-Chi, my only black. She was in the roosting box. Her box is a bucket with the top cut halfway off. For some reason, she does not like to get in the coup. I had been locking her up, but did not do so last night. I found her dead in her box, lying there headless. No other part of her body was injured or suffered any trauma. What could have done this? I'v never had any critters; I'v lined the coup with chicken wire up about 3-4 feet, but the rest of wire is the regular dog-kennel. I'v also covered the top with netting, but there are no large holes. I am so upset! She was my favorite and the sweetest in the world. Her little friend is heartbroken and running around looking for her. Whatever got her had to have come into the coup. What animal kills like this? It/they completely be-headed her, and left no beak, etc. The rest of the body is 100% intact.

And very random, but we pick up dog waste in our yard daily. I left the plastic bag hanging on the fence yesterday b/c I was going to put it in the garbage can in the morning after I picked up any waste (the garbage collector was coming). Whatever got my Chi-Chi ripped the bag open and there are little holes throughout.

I am sorry for your loss, poor Chi-chi and her little friends. Do you have weasels in your area? They can get through small spaces and will behead their prey. Raccoons will behead, too, but need a bigger space. Good luck protecting the rest of your flock.

Quote:
I'm not sure; I live in south GA and have never heard or seen them. I'm just confused! I'v had them almost a year and nothing has touched them or even thought about trying to get in. They have two coups inside a 40' x 10' run. Do you know how large of a space a raccoon could fit into? I wonder if it could be a raccoon baby?

Thank you for your support. He had 9 to choose from and he got my FAVORITE! Grrrrrrrr. It is on.

Quote:
Sorry I have just now responded! I haven't been on in a few days.

I am in South Georgia. I am making sure to lock them in their coup each night. I haven't had any more losses (knock on wood), so hopefully, whatever got my Chi-Chi was a night only critter.

Thanks for the luck!
frow.gif

We need it.

fl.gif

Glad you're hens are all safe. If you have any more losses set up a weasel box (google weasel box) and you'll catch that sucker quick. Good luck!

Brian

Back
Top Bottom