Pop door and closed run

Is it necessary to open and close the pop door daily if the run is completely enclosed, or can it just be left open?

If you are confident that the run is well-proofed against predators then no, it's not necessary.

I had a setup like that for my in-town flock. I only closed the pop door in emergencies. :)

I have almost the same, except the bear. From what I've heard here on BYC, you need an electric fence as a deterrent for them.

Do you have aerial predators? We have hawks and bald eagles here.

I don't free range, and fencing in the area around the coop is not going to happen. Too much else goes on in that area. Like access to the wood piles, propane tank, and it's the dog's frisbee area too.

I have almost the same, except the bear. From what I've heard here on BYC, you need an electric fence as a deterrent for them.

Do you have aerial predators? We have hawks and bald eagles here.

I don't free range, and fencing in the area around the coop is not going to happen. Too much else goes on in that area. Like access to the wood piles, propane tank, and it's the dog's frisbee area too.
Yes, hawks and owls, but I’m not so worried about the owls. The bear has never come through our fence that I know o, and it doesn’t seem to come around much. I’m mostly counting on my neighbor’s bee hives being more enticing. 😅

We hadn't been closing our pop door.
We close it now! Our predator resistant apron had degraded and a critter dug in. We were lucky it was just a stinky skunk after eggs.

If you choose to not close the pop door check ALL your critter proofing at least once a week to ensure it is still secure.

Back
Top Bottom