Possible abscess? Please help

kjackson1992

Chirping
Apr 14, 2018
Australia
Posting here just in case old threads don't bump, i dont use forums all that much.

Just noticed our duck that we've had inside for the past 4 days due to them not being them selves has a lump as pictured under both of their legs. Are these abscesses? If they are what can I do I really don't want to lose him or for him to be in pain any more. Apologises for the poor picture quality. He was not happy about being held up.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/puffy-lump-under-ducks-beak-help.1295899

link to old thread with other pictures about full condition he is in

Attachments

• IMG_20190316_143023.jpg
    IMG_20190316_143023.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Slightly better picture here, I've got him resting on a pillow and he hasn't moved from it for the past half an hour so it must hurt sitting on them

Attachments

• IMG_20190316_150636.jpg
    IMG_20190316_150636.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 17
Done some reading and I'm currently letting him soak in a tub of warm water with Epsom salts in as it's good for ducks apparently. If anybody has any idea what else I can do or what these lumps are please let me know

This is what I wrote in The other thread:
I've never seen them this large, nor have I seen them bilateral and symetric, but when I have seen them, I find the location of the offending feathers, clean the area with chlorhexidine, make an incision, remove pus and feather, then flush with saline and chlorhexidine.

The location, size, symmetry and shape do make me wonder what they are, so like you, I would be concerned about cutting into them.

If your vet is an option I think that would be best.

Back
Top Bottom