Possible cyst/tumor on 4 week old chick???

cassleo

Hatching
May 2, 2016
Not sure what this bulge is or how to address it. Noticed it the other day and it's getting slightly bigger. It starts by the humerous and vertebrae on the back and extends to across half the chest. The chick is eating, drinking, and behaving normally.

It seems movable. Kind of squishy. When I push slightly on it it takes a minute to "bounce" back. Not hard but dense. I can see an air bubble right under the skin. The mass is about the size of a ping ping ball.

It's possible that it could be a leaking air sac from an injury to the neck, back, or chest. Are you able to identify the chick's crop, to make sure that isn't what you are seeing? Leaking air sacs can be punctured with a 22 gauge to 18 gauge needle inserted just under the skin, and the air can be pushed out. It can come back again, and need to be re-done. Personally, if the chick is not having any problems breathing or the bulge is getting larger, I would leave it alone. Keep an eye one the chick's crop to make sure that it is normal like the other chicks.

Back
Top Bottom