possible egg binding

mike48851

Songster
Apr 4, 2019
Lyons, MI
one of my rhode island reds was acting a little odd last night, and when I got home from work today, still acting odd. So I began to investigate. Not moving around much. She just stood in one spot for probably 15 ninutes while the others roamed. Then she sat on the perch in the run all by herself, constantly looking like shes falling asleep. Noticed she has liquidy stool and there seems to be pretty good contracting going on back there as well. I got some nice warm water and got her in there and massaged her abdomen for about 10 minutes before she decided she was done with that. Then a bit later, I got her back in some more warm water for another 10 minutes maybe. It possibly feels like there is an egg when I massage the abdomen...Anyway, after that she wouldn't even let me dry her off, she just went straight in the coop and up to the roost. Any ideas? I've heard this doesn't take long to be fatal. I got electrolyte mix and fresh water for her but she wont touch it. She is eating a little grass when shes out, but not a ton. They have a dish of oyster shells that they obviously have consumed. And I have been feeding layer feed for at least a month now (they just started laying just over a month ago).

Thanks in advance!

Can you insert a finger inside her vent about an inch or two, to feel if there is an egg inside the vent? If you have any calcium tablets or Tums around, you could give half of one orally or in some food. She might have an overly large egg, a soft or shell-less egg stuck, or it might be something else going on.

I have no experience with eggbound chickens, but when one of my ducks was egg bound this spring, I put her in warm water in the bath tub (chicken might object to that!), and gave her crushed calcium pills. It took 13 hours of soaking to get the egg to pass. Be careful not to break an egg inside her as infection can result. The vet gave me antibiotics to help with her swollen leg joint and some pain meds.

Good luck, Mike! Let us know how she fares.

1CBE8001-8EA4-4A7F-8B79-FFDD7CC7BEBA.jpeg
C4BD5AA6-AC35-436D-836E-B1D8AF988EF2.jpeg
I have no experience with eggbound chickens, but when one of my ducks was egg bound this spring, I put her in warm water in the bath tub (chicken might object to that!), and gave her crushed calcium pills. It took 13 hours of soaking to get the egg to pass. Be careful not to break an egg inside her as infection can result. The vet gave me antibiotics to help with her swollen leg joint and some pain meds.

Good luck, Mike! Let us know how she fares.
Well, found the problem. She is happier than a pig in shh....lol. This thing has got to be a good pound or so

Back
Top Bottom