Possible Emergency?? One chick dead, another to come?!

Apr 7, 2020
Western Massachusetts
Hello. I have a few chicks, all less than a week and a half but varying in age a little bit. One of them was 3 days old as of yesterday, but she died. One thing I noticed about her was that she was peeping all the time and trying toforce herself under the others, and I went through the checklist and made sure she had food, water, and that it was warm enough (I used a scientific thermometer). I tried everything but assumed it was normal. After she died, I then promptly got rid of all the bedding and gave them a clean feeder and waterer, as well as wiped down the brooder (they were in a nestled, warm safe space while this happened). Today, a different chick who was a few days older than her had begun displaying similar behavior that she didn’t have yesterday. I checked for pasty butt and she has everything she needs. Are there any diseases I should check for, and if so, how can I do that? Obviously I can’t have anyone over to my house to look at them, and besides there are no chick vets in the area.

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry for your loss.

Can you post some photos of your brooder set-up, the chicks and their poop?
What is the temperature of the brooder - warm side and cool side?
What are you feeding?

Yes, sorry I should’ve put more info in my initial post. A bit panicky right now!

Temp is approximately 94 degrees. The coldest part (the farthest edge) is only about 78, do you recommend i put the light closer to the center? My original thought was have one hot side and one not hot side in case it got overheated when I wasn’t around. Attached are some pics- the poop ones are going to be hard to look at because of the red light of the heat lamp. In case this is important, there is also a heating pad beneath the hay. However, my own observations are that the poop looks normal.

The “brooder” is kind of make-shift, made out of what used to be my rabbits litter box a long time ago (it was thoroughly washed then and was cleaned again before the chicks were ever put in there!). The bedding is hay but could easily be switched.

And finally, they have been eating crushed chicken feed- I don’t currently have grower feed and can’t get any because of the circumstances. I did a TON of research before they arrived and many farmers were saying they didn’t use grower feed, but maybe this was the wrong decision?

Attachments

• A35B6B47-2EA5-4CF9-9A92-104DE0EEE25A.jpeg
    A35B6B47-2EA5-4CF9-9A92-104DE0EEE25A.jpeg
    613.7 KB · Views: 4
  • CD93962C-2485-4709-9C0D-5B612EE6AC44.jpeg
    CD93962C-2485-4709-9C0D-5B612EE6AC44.jpeg
    646.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 09CE2613-2171-4CF8-8EA0-1358977B0A40.jpeg
    09CE2613-2171-4CF8-8EA0-1358977B0A40.jpeg
    612.1 KB · Views: 3
  • D6E65B60-F402-44C8-8C06-6C558A6A08A4.jpeg
    D6E65B60-F402-44C8-8C06-6C558A6A08A4.jpeg
    699.4 KB · Views: 3
  • F596A348-EAF7-45FB-A32E-5FD4167C03FF.jpeg
    F596A348-EAF7-45FB-A32E-5FD4167C03FF.jpeg
    582.7 KB · Views: 3
there is also a heating pad beneath the hay.
eating crushed chicken feed- I don’t currently have grower feed and can’t get any because of the circumstances. I did a TON of research before they arrived and many farmers were saying they didn’t use grower feed
What type of feed is the crushed chicken feed - layer, starter, all flock?
Are the chicks drinking?
What is the chick you are concerned about doing - huddling, trying to get under the others, etc.?

No you are right, you want just one warm spot and let the rest be cool.
I'm not sure if the heating pad under the hay is necessary - you want to go by behavior. If the chicks are staying under the light all the time, then they are cold, if they avoid the heat, then too hot.

I don't really see a problem with the hay, but it may be hard for them to navigate - maybe thin it out just a little, especially around the food/water so they can get to the other end of the brooder.

Layer feed. They are eating and drinking very regularly- I’ve been making fun of them because they go to sleep and then five minutes later go eat and drink. I know that the chirpy one specifically has been drinking because she is perching in a very quirky way so I’ve been noticing it. She is trying to huddle, mostly, but the others aren’t doing the same and are acting normally.
However, I have just had another very untimely but serious emergency. The heat lamp bulb just burnt out for some reason. We had a hugeee frenzy, and they had a space blanket over them and everything until we could get them a new bulb. I’m thinking that the peeping may have been that it was getting steadily colder before the heat lamp broke. However, I also noticed this (see attached). When I took this picture, I thought it could by pasty butt but then she pooped into my hand (erk). Is it normal for them to be a bit dirty, or should I wash it? Also, do you have any suggestions of things I should look for just in case the cold wasn't what was bothering them?

Attachments

• 041C0189-ADA1-44B5-9A5C-3E8D1707CD07.jpeg
    041C0189-ADA1-44B5-9A5C-3E8D1707CD07.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 3
Layer feed. They are eating and drinking very regularly- I’ve been making fun of them because they go to sleep and then five minutes later go eat and drink. I know that the chirpy one specifically has been drinking because she is perching in a very quirky way so I’ve been noticing it. She is trying to huddle, mostly, but the others aren’t doing the same and are acting normally.
However, I have just had another very untimely but serious emergency. The heat lamp bulb just burnt out for some reason. We had a hugeee frenzy, and they had a space blanket over them and everything until we could get them a new bulb. I’m thinking that the peeping may have been that it was getting steadily colder before the heat lamp broke. However, I also noticed this (see attached). When I took this picture, I thought it could by pasty butt but then she pooped into my hand (erk). Is it normal for them to be a bit dirty, or should I wash it? Also, do you have any suggestions of things I should look for just in case the cold wasn't what was bothering them?
Is that the vent or her navel?
If the vent is not clogged, then right now I would not wash her - especially since your lamp just went out.

OK You have a heating pad - what is it - a cloth/plastic one used for humans, a seed mat or ?
The peeping sure could be because they are cold.
If the heating pad is one used for humans, you could use it to make a Mama Heating Pad or cave. If it's a heat or seed mat, then you may do better to place a box over it to hold in heat, cover it with hay or a thick towel (like a cave).

The layer feed is concerning. I understand for sure, supplies and feed is in demand and getting starter or grower may not be possible. Layer feed has a lot of calcium which chicks don't need - if you can't get starter, then I would still use the layer, but supplement protein with some scrambled egg.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958/

That is her navel. The heating pad is a small animal heating pad, and we had it out before but it was too cold, at least at the time. Thanks for the suggestions! They are all set up with a new lamp and are happy now :) No excessive peeping anymore! Still a bit worried about the mess on her bottom, though...

That is her navel. The heating pad is a small animal heating pad, and we had it out before but it was too cold, at least at the time. Thanks for the suggestions! They are all set up with a new lamp and are happy now :) No excessive peeping anymore! Still a bit worried about the mess on her bottom, though...
If that's her navel, I would leave it alone. That scab or debris will eventually fall off on it's own.

Oh good! Glad they are happy now! I hope all goes well.

Ooops! I see you're still concerned about the mess on the bottom - IF that's the navel, don't mess with it. IF it's the vent and it's clogging the vent, she needs to be cleaned up. You can try a damp paper towel to see if that works, sometimes you do need to run some warm water and wash the bum, just make sure she's dry before going back in the brooder. I use a hair dryer to dry the fluff - I use low setting and am careful not to get too close/hot on the skin.

Back
Top Bottom