Possible emergency;

@Goosebaby any ideas?? She seems happy otherwise (also not how I usually feed her lol!! But it keeps her still got photos )

@JRies it's not warm at all here right now, so I can't imagine? It's autumn and quite cool now of course
Geese can do that when overheating but it could be that she’s probably feeling too weak to hold them up, she looks very thin so I’m guessing she has an energy deficit. It should improve as she recovers and puts more weight on.

Geese can do that when overheating but it could be that she’s probably feeling too weak to hold them up, she looks very thin so I’m guessing she has an energy deficit. It should improve as she recovers and puts more weight on.
This would make sense ❤️ while she WAS eating (she still is) during her not feeling well bout she definitely was off, and not her usual self. And as I mentioned, she was interested in foraging but not really DOING so as she obviously wasn't feeling super well. I will keep up with supplements and make sure she gets out moving! I know she's a goose, but in Canada - our weather it quite gray and dreary and STORMY lately, and she's not a massive fan of being out in the wind 😂 rain she's okay with, but not so much the other stuff! I wonder if there's some other goodies I should be adding to her diet overall as well; I know proper rations and getting out to forage is best, but as I've learned through a lot of your comments; it's quite obvious a lot of feeds even made for 'duck and goose' arent 100%!!!

I'm thinking I will keep up with peas; I know you guys mentioned oats and corn and things.. What kind of oats?
I have easy access to black oil sunflower seeds as well if that could be of help!

I'm thinking I will keep up with peas; I know you guys mentioned oats and corn and things.. What kind of oats?
I have easy access to black oil sunflower seeds as well if that could be of help!
Mine are not fans of oats but will eat them if they have been soaked 24 hours. Cracked corn is there favorite it is High fat but low protein about 8% and she really needs that also. Dose your feed store have a 20% plus Broiler Crumble feed or a high quality turkey Starter, you can supplement cracked corn with Make sure non of the feeds are medicated also. since you are supplementing her vitamins right now.
I feed wheat 2/3 and 1/3 cracked corn as there main grain soaked and wheat sprouted to day 3, 2/3 of there feed is grain. The other 1/3 is a 28% turkey starter pheasant feed it balances them out to around 18% protein. Then supplement with vitamins. Since I have no pasture I soak Timothy Pellets and Beat Pulp pellets as a back up free choose food for extra roughage. They always eat there grain first. Then munch on that occasionally through the day.

Corn will give energy but it’s kind of nutrient deficient so it shouldn’t be the Primary source of food.
I'm thinking I may add some BOSS, I know they are good calories and iron, I also just read they are a good b complex too! She was not a fan of her soaked oats lol. Basically ate around them (because I tried to be sneaky and mix them into her feed 😂🥴

I'm thinking I may add some BOSS, I know they are good calories and iron, I also just read they are a good b complex too! She was not a fan of her soaked oats lol. Basically ate around them (because I tried to be sneaky and mix them into her feed 😂🥴
The Boss I found on line is Sunflower seeds which are good for E also is Boss shelled black oil? I add thous shelled and safflower shelled right before breeding and laying season for stronger embryo's and higher T. Then looked and there are all kinds of Boss so funny.

The Boss I found on line is Sunflower seeds which are good for E also is Boss shelled black oil? I add thous shelled and safflower shelled right before breeding and laying season for stronger embryo's and higher T. Then looked and there are all kinds of Boss so funny.
Hahaha - yes! Black oil sunflower seeds. They have a thin hull, and high oil/fat content! A lot of people leave them out for wild birds in winter, but I also get them for my chickens, and my goats love them as well (goats love everything though... Lol)

Quote: high in protein, fiber, calcium, vitamin b-complex, vitamin e, potassium and iron

My feed store generally orders in from larger stores like Top Shelf and Sharkare, but I am now learning that they definitely don't have all the things or brands that maybe larger US stores might. I can definitely get turkey feeds, as I do feed my male turkey game bird+turkey feeds, but it all depends what the stores have in stock! I believe it's usually around 22 percent, and the brands are usually very slim. Most duck+goose pellets I've seen are around 16% - and I've never seen just STRAIGHT cracked corn but I know there's 'hen scratch cracked corn' which is a mix. I believe I've also seen whole barley.

Hahaha - yes! Black oil sunflower seeds. They have a thin hull, and high oil/fat content! A lot of people leave them out for wild birds in winter, but I also get them for my chickens, and my goats love them as well (goats love everything though... Lol)

Quote: high in protein, fiber, calcium, vitamin b-complex, vitamin e, potassium and iron

My feed store generally orders in from larger stores like Top Shelf and Sharkare, but I am now learning that they definitely don't have all the things or brands that maybe larger US stores might. I can definitely get turkey feeds, as I do feed my male turkey game bird+turkey feeds, but it all depends what the stores have in stock! I believe it's usually around 22 percent, and the brands are usually very slim. Most duck+goose pellets I've seen are around 16% - and I've never seen just STRAIGHT cracked corn but I know there's 'hen scratch cracked corn' which is a mix. I believe I've also seen whole barley.
16% is a good maintenance feed but right now your trying to get her weight back on her and her strength in her. This is just my birds but they wouldn't eat a un-shelled sunflower they just pick around it. I have to buy them shelled which they love. Barley is one of the best grains you can get them, I have had to go to whole wheat for cost. I get my feed from a local mill for the geese. Runner Ducks still get duck pellets from the feed store. Cut my cost by 1/3 on feed but really have to read labels and ask allot of questions. The feed I get is meant to be a supplement for grain.

16% is a good maintenance feed but right now your trying to get her weight back on her and her strength in her. This is just my birds but they wouldn't eat a un-shelled sunflower they just pick around it. I have to buy them shelled which they love. Barley is one of the best grains you can get them, I have had to go to whole wheat for cost. I get my feed from a local mill for the geese. Runner Ducks still get duck pellets from the feed store. Cut my cost by 1/3 on feed but really have to read labels and ask allot of questions. The feed I get is meant to be a supplement for grain.
So do you think if I got a higher protein feed like game bird, and supplemented niacin (brewers yeast or nutritional) that could work well? @Goosebaby what do you think!

My chickens eat the seeds no problem, but I wonder about geese (and ducks for that matter lol)

Back
Top Bottom