Possible neurological issue? Blind

Aug 28, 2020
So one chicken has been getting picked on lately and lost all feathers on the top of her head. We noticed she was walking into fences like she didn’t know they were there and when food is dropped in front of her she kept missing it like she can’t see where it’s at. When she stands still her head slowly twists to the side and she’ll pull it back and then it slowly twists again - like the old sprinklers pretty much. I’ve seen some symptoms on Mareks and Newcastle that sound like possibilities but I just don’t know. I have her in a separate crate within the coop right now to avoid predation while the others free range but I’m not sure what to do next.

Could be Mareks or just seizure-like activity from brain lesion. The pecking might have caused a head injury.Human vitamin E 400 IU, a little cooked egg for selenium, and some B complex 1/4 tablet crushed daily might be helpful. Find vitamins at Walmart and most pharmacies. Let us know how she gets along, or if it gets better or worse.

I have her in a separate crate within the coop right now to avoid predation while the others free range but I’m not sure what to do next.
What is her age, breed, and standard feed routine including treats and supplements, along with location please?

Have you seen her eat or drink? Can you feel her crop to check for condition.. is it empty and flat, have anything hard inside, or squishy water balloony?

Dehydration can cause neurological condiitons.. first thing I would do after checking crop condition is offer water held up to her beak to see if she drinks.

With all the feathers missing from the head.. maybe she was attacked and is in shock? Been kept from food or water, etc..

Attachments

• 1AFC02A0-569A-487B-8E05-B382F86ADB73.jpeg
    1AFC02A0-569A-487B-8E05-B382F86ADB73.jpeg
    391.2 KB · Views: 3
What is her age, breed, and standard feed routine including treats and supplements, along with location please?

Have you seen her eat or drink? Can you feel her crop to check for condition.. is it empty and flat, have anything hard inside, or squishy water balloony?

Dehydration can cause neurological condiitons.. first thing I would do after checking crop condition is offer water held up to her beak to see if she drinks.

With all the feathers missing from the head.. maybe she was attacked and is in shock? Been kept from food or water, etc..
She’s a silver laced Wyandotte, less than a year old. Seems to have stopped laying eggs. She gets layer pellets and cracked corn twice daily (am/pm) and free ranges all day with the other chickens and guinea fowl (the guineas are housed in separate coop at night). My husband picked her up the other day and held food in front of her mouth. When she finally realized there was something there she started pecking at it like crazy as though she was totally starved. We got her separated and gave her water and once she found that she drank for a good 10 minutes. Within 24 hours she had gone through a full gallon (I added some ACV to it).

I would agree that her eye looks typical for the ocular type of Mareks. She is blind in that eye. Her twitching movement is probably why she was picked on. If you lose her and want to confirm Mareks, it would be good to have your state vet lab do a necropsy. Here is a list of state vets and how to keep the body cold:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

I would agree that her eye looks typical for the ocular type of Mareks. She is blind in that eye. Her twitching movement is probably why she was picked on. If you lose her and want to confirm Mareks, it would be good to have your state vet lab do a necropsy. Here is a list of state vets and how to keep the body cold:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
So how would you tackle it? I’m reading some saying cull just the chicken showing symptoms and others saying cull the whole flock. I also have Guinea fowl that literally just laid a first egg today after 8 months of investment in them. 20 chickens total and 21 Guinea fowl.

Back
Top Bottom