Possible scorpion poisoning/paralyzed hens

Vegashens

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2020
Hi we live in Las Vegas and just a few hours ago our beautiful girls started squawking like I’ve never heard. Shortly after they both kind of passed out. Not sure how poisonous they are, but I watched them eat a scorpion or two while cleaning the coupe out. So far we’ve given them some water w vitamins, and about 1/2 mil of Benadryl each. Seems as if they are in and out of consciousness, and spitting up every now and then. I am very worried and just wondering what you guys may recommend. Thanks !!!

This is the safe way to syringe liquids into a chicken without risking aspiration. Note the esophagus is on the chicken's right side of their throat.
upload_2019-3-15_10-22-30.jpeg

Ok they made it through the night. The one that was in worse shape seemed to be doing slightly better, holding her head up today.

So now I’m at the vet and they are basically telling me they’re not sure what course of action to take seeing as there’s not really a test they can run to verify the issues. Not sure how experienced the vet is w chickens but was basically told he’s not sure at this point.

You can easily do your own tube feeding, and the vet could sell you the kit for very little. My vet sold me a tube and catheter for $3. Or you can get tubing from Walmart or an aquarium store. Drug stores will often give you a syringe for free. Be sure it will fit in the tubing.

There are tutorials on tube feeding here on this site. Here is a photo to show you where the syringe or tube needs to go to do this safely. It's much easier than you would think, and you'll be better prepared in future to care for sick chickens confidently.
upload_2019-3-15_10-22-30.jpeg

Hey everyone, so it’s now been a full 5 days since the incident so I figured I’ve give a little update. Although my fiancé was giving me crap for spending so much on them, they seem to have made almost a full recovery and are back in the coupe doing great ! I say “almost” meaning the hen who was in worse shape still has sort of a small hobble in her right leg. Seems as if the omnivore food and shots helped a lot ! I truly thought they were goners that first day !!! So just wanted to give a little update and thank you guys once again for the help/support !

Attachments

• 91A54A31-1367-4B57-9D26-F4CE4E22CCDD.jpeg
    91A54A31-1367-4B57-9D26-F4CE4E22CCDD.jpeg
    802.3 KB · Views: 5
  • C47FE6D1-DFA4-412C-94DB-20E59FD2DB7C.jpeg
    C47FE6D1-DFA4-412C-94DB-20E59FD2DB7C.jpeg
    824.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom