Possible scorpion poisoning/paralyzed hens

Ok they made it through the night. The one that was in worse shape seemed to be doing slightly better, holding her head up today.

So now I’m at the vet and they are basically telling me they’re not sure what course of action to take seeing as there’s not really a test they can run to verify the issues. Not sure how experienced the vet is w chickens but was basically told he’s not sure at this point.
That’s how it was for us, too. In our case she needed to wait out the venom. There wasn’t a lot they could do for her. I kept her comfortable and made sure she drank just like you are doing. I think that’s what you can do for now?

I suggest syringing Poultry Nutri-drench mixed into water with a little sugar. This will give them a boost and it by-passes the digestive system to work immediately.

It's good news the chickens are surviving and the trend is toward improvement. This is encouraging.

Will do. So they gave me a steep estimate which would involve a catheter, injections, and keeping them here to watch over them.

To be honest I don’t have that kind of money. And the vet really didn’t seem to optimistic about a solid answer. So I asked for the injections (calcium vitamin A & D) which they will administer. They also have a protein/probiotic I am going to get for home. They said whatever it was it’s already in there system, and I can try basically force feeding them.

One thing that had me a little nervous is he tried a pain test, I guess basically squeezing their feet to see if they curl back or can feel them basically. And one of them is really not responding. So hoping after all of this that it’s not permanent.

You can easily do your own tube feeding, and the vet could sell you the kit for very little. My vet sold me a tube and catheter for $3. Or you can get tubing from Walmart or an aquarium store. Drug stores will often give you a syringe for free. Be sure it will fit in the tubing.

There are tutorials on tube feeding here on this site. Here is a photo to show you where the syringe or tube needs to go to do this safely. It's much easier than you would think, and you'll be better prepared in future to care for sick chickens confidently.
upload_2019-3-15_10-22-30.jpeg

You can easily do your own tube feeding, and the vet could sell you the kit for very little. My vet sold me a tube and catheter for $3. Or you can get tubing from Walmart or an aquarium store. Drug stores will often give you a syringe for free. Be sure it will fit in the tubing.

There are tutorials on tube feeding here on this site. Here is a photo to show you where the syringe or tube needs to go to do this safely. It's much easier than you would think, and you'll be better prepared in future to care for sick chickens confidently. View attachment 2351781

Thank you so much I really appreciate the help and support.

Hey everyone, so it’s now been a full 5 days since the incident so I figured I’ve give a little update. Although my fiancé was giving me crap for spending so much on them, they seem to have made almost a full recovery and are back in the coupe doing great ! I say “almost” meaning the hen who was in worse shape still has sort of a small hobble in her right leg. Seems as if the omnivore food and shots helped a lot ! I truly thought they were goners that first day !!! So just wanted to give a little update and thank you guys once again for the help/support !

Attachments

• 91A54A31-1367-4B57-9D26-F4CE4E22CCDD.jpeg
    91A54A31-1367-4B57-9D26-F4CE4E22CCDD.jpeg
    802.3 KB · Views: 5
  • C47FE6D1-DFA4-412C-94DB-20E59FD2DB7C.jpeg
    C47FE6D1-DFA4-412C-94DB-20E59FD2DB7C.jpeg
    824.3 KB · Views: 5
Hey everyone, so it’s now been a full 5 days since the incident so I figured I’ve give a little update. Although my fiancé was giving me crap for spending so much on them, they seem to have made almost a full recovery and are back in the coupe doing great ! I say “almost” meaning the hen who was in worse shape still has sort of a small hobble in her right leg. Seems as if the omnivore food and shots helped a lot ! I truly thought they were goners that first day !!! So just wanted to give a little update and thank you guys once again for the help/support !
This is wonderful news! :wee

Back
Top Bottom