Possible September Chicks!?

Vanitychickens

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2019
Ok my 2 girls went broody was 1 with 8 the other with 3 is there any advice for me cause this is my first time ever having broody girls anything will help thanks! Also my girls are black star hens

Pictures or details of your setup will help us help you. However, chickens innately know more about incubating and caring for chicks than humans ever will. They need little or no intervention other than access to food, water, a place to defecate and dust bathe.
The hens do all the work.
My best advice is to interfere as little as possible. Don't worry about counting, candling or anything else. Many people love to intervene and even insist it is necessary. Don't listen to them. Hens have been hatching eggs longer than humans knew chickens existed. They didn't need human intervention then and they don't now. Let her do her job and you'll have better results.

Last edited:
Pictures or details of your setup will help us help you. However, chickens innately know more about incubating and caring for chicks than humans ever will. They need little or no intervention other than access to food, water, a place to defecate and dust bathe.
The hens do all the work.
My best advice is to interfere as little as possible. Don't worry about counting, candling or anything else. Many people love to intervene and even insist it is necessary. Don't listen to them. Hens have been hatching eggs longer than humans knew chickens existed. They didn't need human intervention then and they don't now. Let her do her job and you'll have better results.
Ok thsnk you and i dont really have a set up for them i have my coop i let the all my gurls out in the dayand noticed 2 havent been going in there nest is close to the coop but i dont really want to bother her its exciting but i just want to let her do her thing snd hope for some beautiful chicks the moms a black stars and the dad is ee x Americana

I forgot to tell you something important. Mark all the eggs under them now so you can remove any eggs other hens volunteer to the nests. I use a sharpie. Not removing new eggs will create a staggered hatch which creates a nightmare when the hen leaves the nest to care for the hatched chicks.

Ok
I forgot to tell you something important. Mark all the eggs under them now so you can remove any eggs other hens volunteer to the nests. I use a sharpie. Not removing new eggs will create a staggered hatch which creates a nightmare when the hen leaves the nest to care for the hatched chicks.
ok but also the other hens dont know where she is i looked for her in the night been discreet about it but will do thanks for the idea will it bother her she wont yhink any different when i mark thrm???

So you don't know where your broody hens are? How do you know they are sitting on eggs?
Where are you located?
I wait till the hen comes off the nest for their daily eat/drink/defecate foray to mark the eggs. My eggs are very dark so I have to use a black magic marker.

So you don't know where your broody hens are? How do you know they are sitting on eggs?
Where are you located?
I wait till the hen comes off the nest for their daily eat/drink/defecate foray to mark the eggs. My eggs are very dark so I have to use a black magic marker.
I do know where they are i candled there eggs before i let them sit sny longer and im going to mark them

Back
Top Bottom