Possible sick hen

Anasenes

Chirping
May 28, 2018
Northern Illinois
I have a 6 month old easter egger hen who is acting weird. When I came home from school, she was laying in her nesting box sleeping with her head over her wing, but beak tucked into her wing.
She has not layed an egg today, and I tried to check her vent but I could not see anything abnormal.
She seemed a little weak when ever she tried to get away from me when I was checking her out.
I have not noticed any discharge around her eye, nose, or mouth, but I did see she had a small chip in her top part of her beak (the very end, I dont think it would affect her eating/drinking).
I have not seen any of her poops, so I am not sure of how here stool is.
My other hens keep checking in on her, and I am not sure if I need to seperate her from the others.
Do you guys think she is sick?
What should I do to help her feel better?
None of my hens have done anything like this before, including her. She, as well as the others, were free ranged tuesday and they raiding my front bushes, so I am not sure if thats related.
Thank you ahead of time for any help, and if you need any more information please let me know.
Edit: I just came outside to check on her and she is wheezing a little (once a minute maybe, noy everytime she breaths though)

Last edited:
My Bielfelders drops all their feathers in a couple days and look pathetic lol. My Americaunas you barely notice when they molt. So it can vary breed to breed and chicken to chicken.

6 month old easter egger hen who is acting weird. When I came home from school, she was laying in her nesting box sleeping with her head over her wing, but beak tucked into her wing.
She has not layed an egg today
seemed a little weak when ever she tried to get away from me when I was checking her out.
I just came outside to check on her and she is wheezing a little (once a minute maybe, noy everytime she breaths though)
How is she today?
At 6months of age she should not be molting. Sleeping with her head tucked in during the day, if she were mine, that would tell me she's not feeling well.

Feel her abdomen for any bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid. Compare her to your other pullets is you need to. Look for lice/mites and check to make sure her crop is empty by morning.

The wheezing is concerning - does she have any other symptoms like cough, watery eyes, mucous, facial swelling?

Back
Top Bottom