Sick pullet

If the bugs are crawling all over the chickens, they are probably lice. If you have a magnifying lens, and I recommend every chicken keeper keeps one, count the legs. Lice have six. Mites have eight. If you see mites on a chicken, the coop also will need to be treated. But I don't think lice are making your chickens sick and killing them.

The incubation period for coccidiosis is five to seven days after a chicken is exposed to new soil. Coccidia are parasites living in soil all over the world. Nine different strains alone target chickens. So the chances are good that your chickens are not resistant to the local strains.

The coccidia are consumed as the chicken picks up grit and they take up residence in the intestines where they feed on the thiamine (B-1) in the blood. They can cause bleeding in the stools but not always. The intestinal lining becomes inflamed and infection begins to take hold. Eventually the chicken dies if not treated.

The first line of treatment is Corid liquid. Get some from your local feed store or pet supply. Mix it two teaspoons to one gallon of water or reduce the proportions if you have fewer chickens. Mix it fresh each day and give to the entire flock for five days as the only water source. After that, wait a week and give another five day round as the only drinking water to kill any eggs that hatched. This is a thiamine blocker so don't give extra vitamins while treating.
1641528817331-png.png
upload_2019-3-15_10-22-30.jpeg

For chickens showing symptoms, syringe undiluted Corid liquid directly into the beak. See the second photo for how to do this without getting it into the airway. Give approximately .5ml once a day for three days in addition to the Corid drinking water.

If the bugs are crawling all over the chickens, they are probably lice. If you have a magnifying lens, and I recommend every chicken keeper keeps one, count the legs. Lice have six. Mites have eight. If you see mites on a chicken, the coop also will need to be treated. But I don't think lice are making your chickens sick and killing them.

The incubation period for coccidiosis is five to seven days after a chicken is exposed to new soil. Coccidia are parasites living in soil all over the world. Nine different strains alone target chickens. So the chances are good that your chickens are not resistant to the local strains.

The coccidia are consumed as the chicken picks up grit and they take up residence in the intestines where they feed on the thiamine (B-1) in the blood. They can cause bleeding in the stools but not always. The intestinal lining becomes inflamed and infection begins to take hold. Eventually the chicken dies if not treated.

The first line of treatment is Corid liquid. Get some from your local feed store or pet supply. Mix it two teaspoons to one gallon of water or reduce the proportions if you have fewer chickens. Mix it fresh each day and give to the entire flock for five days as the only water source. After that, wait a week and give another five day round as the only drinking water to kill any eggs that hatched. This is a thiamine blocker so don't give extra vitamins while treating. View attachment 3702883View attachment 3702897

For chickens showing symptoms, syringe undiluted Corid liquid directly into the beak. See the second photo for how to do this without getting it into the airway. Give approximately .5ml once a day for three days in addition to the Corid drinking water.
Thank you very much for such an informative post. I will do the Corid right now. I keep Corid on hand for the goats . I have a magnifying lens I will count the legs . Again thank you for the help.

Hello
The temperature here in Florida was 94 when I dip them. I will try the dust and see hopefully I can do it better this time. I purchased them back in October they were 4 1/2 months old and some didn't have feathers in parts of their body but the owner told me that was because they were still growing the feathers. I used Corid in them when they arrived but I can do it again . They were itching when arrived and didn't want me to get near them they still crowded with each other at night instead of sleeping in the rooster area.
I'd try the Corid, it won't hurt them and may help.
I was thinking they were really new to the property, but you got them in October, Coccidiosis may not be what's going on.

Have you changed feed, any feed get wet or moldy (this is common and happens!), have they ranged/foraged in areas they are not used to?

Just looking at other potential problems.

I'd try the Corid, it won't hurt them and may help.
I was thinking they were really new to the property, but you got them in October, Coccidiosis may not be what's going on.

Have you changed feed, any feed get wet or moldy (this is common and happens!), have they ranged/foraged in areas they are not used to?

Just looking at other
Same feed and the dry worms from Flygrus

Back
Top Bottom