Possible Wry Neck - what to do? Please help.

Better hope not... I think it's a reportable disease in most states and I believe that requires culling of entire flocks, but don't quote me on that.

Last edited:
Better hope not... I think it's a reportable disease in most states and I believe that requires culling of entire flocks, but don't quote me on that.

in UK it is DEFRA needs informing and they come in and

the whole flock and 1 miles surrounded flocks has to be incinerated

and you get a clean up order using Virkon S

I don't have experience with Newcastle, but it is very easy to find information and videos online that show the symptoms to be quite different from this peahen's stargazing. Affected birds twist and move their heads around uncontrollably due to neurological damage.

No need to cause unnecessary alarm here, I think...

I don't have experience with Newcastle, but it is very easy to find information and videos online that show the symptoms to be quite different from this peahen's stargazing. Affected birds twist and move their heads around uncontrollably due to neurological damage.

No need to cause unnecessary alarm here, I think...

I think its best to get the pea to a vet at least

that way it will rule it out

I don't mean to alarm but as this is a very dangerous disease and needs reporting even the tiniest of symptoms needs checking out and should'nt be ruled out before a vet sees it

after all if it is then the virus lives in dirty water (puddles) in the area and if not reported and found massive fines and jail terms can be given

so best rule it out properly or treat it before it gets this far

Last edited:
Frankly, I think you are causing unnecessary alarm.
Jeanette has not suggested that her hen has any other symptoms.

if that's what you think I was giving my views and if the OP chooses to ignore my advise then that's the OP choice

you mention you have no experience with this yet talk of symptoms

not all symptoms display at once or even at all

Last edited:
Probably nothing to worry about. But if you are, make a phone call and ask if there have been any Newcastle outbreaks since 2003.

"Check your flocks frequently for signs of disease, such as gasping, coughing, diarrhea or paralysis," said Dr. Hillman. "If birds are sick, or if there is unusual death loss, call your veterinarian or animal health officials, so that samples may be collected for testing at the National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Ames, Iowa. There is no charge for the testing."
Dr. Hillman referred bird owners in Texas to the TAHC's 24-hour hotline at 1-800-550-8242 or to the USDA's Veterinary Services office in Texas at 512-916-5552. In New Mexico, bird owners may call the New Mexico Livestock Board at 505-841-6161 or the USDA's Veterinary Services office in New Mexico at 505-761-3160.

Source: http://www.wbfi.org/exotic-newcastle-disease.htm
Which I found here:
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...96,d.cGE&fp=548e5224115f3d65&biw=1393&bih=872

Last edited:
Again, I really don't think it's Newcastle, but this is what the AAAP Avian Disease Manual - 6th Edition says about it:

Last edited:
Jeanette, my Salmon Faverolle hen had the "exact" same symptoms, fine one day, on her side the next with her head and neck in the same position. Did she have the same disease/problem as your hen, who knows and with lots of care she lived, that was at least four years ago. Here is a picture of "Crooked Neck" from just now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom