Possum close by

Mrs. Foghorn Leghorn

Songster
16 Years
Mar 26, 2008
East Central FL
This afternoon, we were looking out our homeschool classroom and saw a young possum stick his head out from under some decking. I think he's the one that dug a small hole on the other end a couple nights ago. I'm guessing that he's taken up residence here. The only problems is that it's about 60 ft from my coop/run.

The good news is that my 3 hens are completely enclosed. The bad news is that it is only 1" hexagon mesh. (sorry, I can't remember the gauge wire)

Can a possum get through that? What's the best way to catch a possum w/o a gun? We're in a residential area where guns are not permitted to be fired. I know, I know...... how will they know a gun from a firework, but I want to do this legally.
wink.png

TIA

Not likely that an opossum is going to get in your coop with your wire. Do you have anything around the base (ground) that your wire is secured to?

If you're ABSOLUTELY sure that you don't want to shoot it, I'd get a live trap & bait it with some bacon or a dead fish.

i catch possoms all the time in my live trap. i use the cheapest and most nasty sounding canned cat food i can find. make sure to use canned the stink draws them better. good luck and be careful of those hypodermic needle like teeth.

As long as your coop & run are predator proof, you should be ok.

Possums look for the easiest meal possible.

If I notice one is coming around I put out dry cat food for them, they eat it and leave the chickens alone.

Sometimes I sneak up on them and catch them bare handed, scares the heck out of them to know there is a bigger "predator" here, they usually run for the woods when I release them and don't come back.

POSSUM.jpg

Quote:
Yowzers!!! I'm not that brave when it comes to animals I don't know well. I'd say our guy is smaller than the one in your top left picture. He's little but he won't be for long. I just hope Mama and siblings aren't here too.

My neighbor does tend to keep cat food out for the strays (hence, our completely covered run).

Back
Top Bottom