Possum close by

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I get my trap tomorrow morning from the humane society.

Ironically, we ended up coming home with a dog the other day from the humane society. Life is funny that way.

I had a possum sneak into my coop and tunnel through several bales of hay into the back of the nest box. I think he was living in there for about 2 weeks and stealing eggs every day. He must've given those hens a fright! When the hens refused to go near their nest is when I discovered the tunnel. Needless to say that was the last time I used hay bales to back nest boxes! I chased the possum out, raised the nests, got rid of the hay bales and have had no problems for a year and a half.

Yikes!
ep.gif

Those are some BIG possum's and vicious looking too.
You are brave to hold something that large and those BIG teeth!

Allow me again to be repetitive, this time with the help of our good friend Bob Plamondon:

"... I rarely hear people mention this, but predators are smarter and more observant than people give them credit for. Now that I've killed two crows, at least a hundred are avoiding my farm. I've seen the same effect with four-footed predators: when the farmers and the federal trapper are on their toes about livestock-eaters, the predators not only get the message, they pass it on to their young, and a balance is struck.
Practically all the predators are eating wildlife rather than livestock, and this means that both predators and livestock get to have a normal lifespan.
But if you don't kill any predators, their caution fades. After a couple of generations, the mothers stop teaching farm-avoidance to their young, and then the clueless young predators kill a lot of livestock before inevitably being killed themselves. Which is a bad deal all around. To misquote the song, "Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be livestock eaters!"

Probably true.
But I live in a neighborhood. About a mile away is a green belt. We have coyotes traveling down some our streets. Altho we've done everything to get rid of them... they are now teaching their young to hunt in the "hood"

Lost kittens around here....
I make sure my chickens and cat are in well before dark.

Quote:
I only offer this in the spirit. Each situation is unique. But where there is a will there is a way.
Taking matters into your own hands often means doing things you might not otherwise consider - or that arent always sanctioned.

I popped a possum this mornin.

Believe it's illegal here to relocate or release trapped animals.

Not only are you essentially making it someone else's problem,but diseases can be spread that way.

That reminds me,I have a trap to reset.
cool.png

In my state you have the legal right and the ethical responsibility to protect your livestock. If your not willing to do so you should not have livestock. I have had to trap 5 adult coons in the last 5 days. I know they are not the same ones. nuf said.

Quote:
While I bristle at the comment, "nuf said," I agree with what you are saying. Possum, having a downright primeval mental capacity, are not in on the 'feel good' thing.

The "lets all get along together" mentality rarely extends to the predator world.

Back
Top Bottom