post any and all waterfowl pictures here!!! ponds, pools, aviarys, coops, runs, etc.

They are so pretty! My little Runner girls follow and nibble too, it is precious until they start to nibble harder lol! I know my little girls are sooo spoiled because they are so cute they get away with anything, even as week-olds they spend more time following me around the house than in their brooder box
wee.gif
Thats exactly how my little boy is!

PetDuck or Miss Lydia, maybe you can answer a question for me...My little girls are only MAYBE a week old. They have imprinted pretty good already, they spend a lot of time with me and my boyfriend (more me than him, they know my voice) and they spend their nights in the brooder box next to my side of the bed and they are pretty quiet most of the night, but if I roll over and they are awake and they can't see me they will start to cry until I roll back over or talk to them.
lol.png
They are already mommies spoiled little darlings....*sigh* anyways, I am going to play a gig in Sun Valley (ID) until late Sunday night and so they will be stuck with dad for a couple nights. Now, while they don't bother me that much, their crying and peeping does wake him up and he sleeps rough with them there. I told him I couldn't think of a better proposition.I'm not an expert on duck behavior but I am supposing this is a result of the imprint, and I don't want to break it because I love how close they are to me, but they also can't sleep in "mom's" room forever. I would eventually like them to sleep in their dog house outside with my 5 hens, with an open invitation to the house (I am looking into diapers) Any advice? Sorry it kind of turned into a long story...

If they are older than a few days when you get them it is very likely that they have already imprinted on something else, even though you are their new owner. I heard that waterfowl need to imprint within a few days. I'm no expert, just what I've heard. Also, if you have raised them with other poultry like chickens it is likely that they have imprinted on their broodmates, not you. That happened with my first duck, Paul because I raised him with the chickens. He was always friendly enough but he stuck close to them. I think it also helps when you have an extra small number, like I only have 2 girls. ducky219502, it sounds like they are pretty friendly with you if they nap with ya! It is cute that they follow though, I wasn't expecting it!
Yh its literally the first few hours. for the first 36 hours of my two babies lives they were seperated and only saw me. then after 36 hours i introduced them to eachother. they have a really strong bond with eachother but they will follow me always. im like permenant mummy ducks and my bond with them over rides anything XD like my mum offers them mealworms (which is like drugs to them) and ill call them and theyll look them come running to me every time :D

Back
Top Bottom