Post Hatch, Do You Home Vaccinate?

dangerouschicken

Will Barter For Coffee
12 Years
May 6, 2007
Columbia Gorge, OR
Since I am going to be incubating and hatching eggs (hopefully hatching!) for the first time, I want to be prepared. When I have ordered day-old hatchery chicks, I have always had them vaccinated for Marek's and for Coccidiosis ahead of time. Do I vaccinate my new babies at home after they have hatched? If so, how do I do it? Will medicated Start and Grow cover all the bases?

We have gotten hatchery chicks vaccinated for Marek's, but don't vaccinate our home hatched chicks. We do start all chicks on medicated start or start & grow feed, for the cocci.

Last edited:
Doesn't medicating them mean that you can't say fully organic free range when they lay or you butcher them??

Just wondering,

Orlando

I'm still pulling for some opinions here. Its hard to believe NO ONE vaccinates... or perhaps innoculates is a better word, I understand that there is more than one method to administering most of these vaccines.

Now I can see that coccidia is no big deal with the medicated feed. What about the Merek's?

I ordered chicks vaccinated for Mereks even though small flock owners do not generally have trouble with it.

Quote:
There are so many things that can easily get in the way of a label like that. You have to first be able to verify that your land has been chemical free for 3 years...

now I figure, that will probably stop MOST new chicken owners right there... sure stops me. Before chickens I used chemicals as pest control.. yes shame on me, at least I've learned, but it would be another 2 years before I got over even that 1st hurdle.

I'm with dangerous here.. a healthy flock is what matters.

There are still many great labels to use in this case:
Free Range Cage Free Natural Homegrown Chicken..

free range - had access to the outdoors or pasture for some part of their lives
cage free - does not live in a cage
natural - processed without added flavors colors and any artificials
homegrown - well.. grown here on the homestead

personally, I'm good with that.

Well, dont assume that because they are on medicated feed, they wont get cocci. I know many people who had outbreaks in spite of medicated feed from day one, myself included. We are beginning to wonder if cocci is becoming resistant to amprolium or something else is going on. You also have to provide good sanitation and dry environment, that last part being difficult if it rains and rains and the pens dont dry out.
I do not vaccinate for anything. Never have. Wont swear I wont ever do it, but I have no plans to start at this point in time.

I vaccinate for Mareks, but I have had it on my place a few years ago and have been doing it ever since. My Dutch bantams are highly susceptible to the disease. Other than that, if I had not ever had it here, I wouldnt do it either.
I recommend doing it only if you have had a problem with it in your area.

Back
Top Bottom