Post office killed my chicks. I am in shock. pics - graphic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I was under the impression that following directions was part of any job, po or otherwise? If my schedule says I have to be at work at 8am, does that mean I don't have to go in til 9 just because someone wrote it on a piece of paper?

Yes they do. All my hatching eggs are sent with a note that says, "DO NOT ATTEMPT DELIVERY", "PLEASE CALL XXX-XXX-XXXX" or "PLEASE LEAVE NOTICE FOR PICK UP".

All lives are to receive "Special Handling" and this includes hatching eggs.

ETA: All my chicks are sent Express Mail which does require a signature.

Last edited:
You know something? I love you guys. What a feisty bunch of folks. Its ok that we don't agree. Its ok that some of you don't agree that its the post office's fault. I honestly don't mind. We live in America where people are free to say what they want and believe what they want.

I may not like what you say or agree with it... but that is ok too.

I am not so upset that I didn't get the chicks that I ordered (though clearly not happy either). I am sad for what happened to these particular baby chicks. It breaks my heart. I can order more chicks. But it doesn't do much for these chicks that were killed.

All this happened before 9 am.

4. No Trolling (posting to provoke others, luring them to flame or rant). Trolling is sometimes done involuntarily, so please be considerate when posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel so sorry for you, live chicks should have never been left in the open. Our post office is great, they always call. Now some of the rural carriers sometimes are not on the ball.

I have expensive small electronic components sometimes shipped to me. I DO NOT want them left on top of a rural box. A box at the PO is not expensive, any shipments that you want to pick up have them delivered to the PO Box it will solve the problem. This is also less bouncing around in the back of a car or truck for hatching eggs too. One of our carriers throws them in the back of his open pick up.

Does not bring back your lost chicks, and the PO paying for them or Cackle replacing them will not change the heartache. Whoever sorted the mail messed up, live deliveries are supposed to be picked up unless you have arrangements with the PO.

Special Handling Service is for unusual items that need to be handled specially through the mail – like live poultry and bees. For these items, Special Handling is required. Your package will receive preferential handling to the extent that it’s practical in dispatch and transportation.​

Thank you Jean, that clears up a lot.
smile.png

OP i'm soooo sorry your birds were killed. It's truly sad.
hugs.gif

When I ordered chicks from Ideal last fall, I went to the PO & talked to the mail carrier, I left 3 numbers where I could be reached. I also went to another PO nearby because I have a different physical address from my mailing address and gave them the same info just in case.
Later that week I got a call at 07:30 from the first PO letting me know my box had arrived and it was peeping
tongue.png

I just got some shipping boxes in the mail yesterday and the same mail carrier asked me if there was a place to leave packages (if they weren't peeping) if I wasn't home. I said NOOOOO, ALWAYS call me and let me know there's a box to be picked up because I order eggs from time to time. She said no problem.

Chicks do come in a box that says CALL FOR PICK UP. And YES that means they HAVE to call. It's just like following the rest of the directions on the box i.e. "this side up" "fragile" "zip code" "street address" "signature conformation" etc.
If it's written on the box it's part of the delivery.
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom