Post Phoenix Pics Please

haha,
I like that Pam!!

Good to have you here by the way too. And from good ol Georgia too. If you ever get addicted, just let me know. I can get you some pretty nice ones next spring once everything starts laying good again

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I actually thought about calling and stopping by there before (and of course, bringing some home). My son is down there in Statesboro, going to GA Southern. _Pam

you're welcome to come see them any time, got 60 or so pens full of birds here. Will have more in the spring if you want to get some then, right now pretty much down to my breeders, we're just north of Valdosta

This is Penny and Rocky, my first two standard Silver Phoenix.
They are 10 months old in this photo.

Here is Rocky again...

They have produced some very nice chicks. All of my hens are excellent egg layers. All of my SP roos and cockerels will get a little pushy during mating season but still allow me to pick them up without a big fuss. All of my roos would defend the girls to their death and most of them back down from my husband and I if they start posturing and we walk towards them. Rocky on the other hand... he did get me once and tried a second time but I had a child's plastic rake in my hand and he wore it. Ever since then if he does his little dance and sees me pick up the little rake (it's a laugh, really because it would be like beating a mack truck with a broom) he immediately calms down and walks away. Of course he's older now and KNOWS I am the keeper of the crumbles. :)

Our hens and pullets are incredibly friendly and talkative and make great mothers. Penny will sometimes sit on eggs if I don't take them out before the day's end. I did allow her to hatch one egg to see what kind of a mother she would be and she is an incredible one. All of the roos and cockerels are incredibly gentle with chicks when we put them in the pens.

We had some "oops" matings between Rocky's brother, Apollo (who has a MUCH longer tail) and some of our Silkie hens and they are beautiful birds. They are actually flightier than all of our Silver Phoenix hens and roos combined. It's not unusual to find them up in the rafters of the coop or up on top of the pen which is just over 8 feet tall. I have NEVER seen any of the Silver Phoenix up there yet.

Christine

This is Penny and Rocky, my first two standard Silver Phoenix.
They are 10 months old in this photo.

Here is Rocky again...

They have produced some very nice chicks. All of my hens are excellent egg layers. All of my SP roos and cockerels will get a little pushy during mating season but still allow me to pick them up without a big fuss. All of my roos would defend the girls to their death and most of them back down from my husband and I if they start posturing and we walk towards them. Rocky on the other hand... he did get me once and tried a second time but I had a child's plastic rake in my hand and he wore it. Ever since then if he does his little dance and sees me pick up the little rake (it's a laugh, really because it would be like beating a mack truck with a broom) he immediately calms down and walks away. Of course he's older now and KNOWS I am the keeper of the crumbles. :)

Our hens and pullets are incredibly friendly and talkative and make great mothers. Penny will sometimes sit on eggs if I don't take them out before the day's end. I did allow her to hatch one egg to see what kind of a mother she would be and she is an incredible one. All of the roos and cockerels are incredibly gentle with chicks when we put them in the pens.

We had some "oops" matings between Rocky's brother, Apollo (who has a MUCH longer tail) and some of our Silkie hens and they are beautiful birds. They are actually flightier than all of our Silver Phoenix hens and roos combined. It's not unusual to find them up in the rafters of the coop or up on top of the pen which is just over 8 feet tall. I have NEVER seen any of the Silver Phoenix up there yet.

Christine

They are beautiful!
thumbsup.gif
-Pam

Back
Top Bottom