Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Quote:
The Imported English Orpington thread discusses the differences, as well as the Orpingtons An Ocean Apart thread, you can search for either conversation and will probably learn a lot.

The biggest differences IMO are type, the English birds are shaped differently and overall size, I've found the English birds to be MUCH larger than any American bred bird I have seen. Otherwise they're both Orps!

Last edited:
Quote:
You should go to APA Shows. I went to Crossroads and took some pics of our better quality American Orps.
IF anyone feels like going to the Shawnee APA Show you can see some of these birds in person.

I have not seen enough UK cocks to be able to say there are any bigger then these.. I know the person who owns one of the 1st UK cocks to be imported, and she said that cock is 10.5 lbs. MANY MANY UK birds derive from that cock. If you look at the hen's legs you can see the thickness of the bones. And notice the head size. That usually is the best indicator in viewing pics of size. Asides from these the only other breeder's Orps I ever had the pleasure of seeing in person who are very large are Doug's. And I have one cock at the bottom who is big boy with 2 of Fred's hens. But no where as big as this large Fred Buff Orp cock in the 1st pic. Fred will being showing at Shawnee. Many here like Buffbeauty have seen Fred's birds and can attest to their beauty and size.
A good book to read which is an older book, but still the differences haven't much changed is the "Reliable Poultry Journal from 1811". You can find it at AMAZON.

007-37.jpg

002-45.jpg

This is my Doug cock. He and these Buff hens are my pride and joy. And he is not as big as the ones Doug kept for himself. I have seen much larger Buff cocks that he has sold that I wish I was there to buy.
018vha.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
The Imported English Orpington thread discusses the differences, as well as the Orpingtons An Ocean Apart thread, you can search for either conversation and will probably learn a lot.

The biggest differences IMO are type, the English birds are shaped differently and overall size, I've found the English birds to be MUCH larger than any American bred bird I have seen. Otherwise they're both Orps!

One of my black English Import Orps weighed 10.1 pounds when I weighed her a while back. I have never weighed the boys. I should do that. I'll put that on my long list of things to do.
lol.png

I will be at Fred Farthing's next week. Maybe I can get some pictures of his birds.
wink.png

I always love to see the pics you guys post..I dont really like the too cochiny look that is trending.. I get what they are doing..my cousins in law are in england as I have said befor and take a tri[p there..you see birds still today that look like the pics that Bill just posted here is one from my nephew liam.. and some of the results are stunning but Its just my opinion but some of them look like dust mops..no offence meant to anyone.. but I would shop cochins If I wanted one..I like the look of hurckulese federal market champion of england..big heavy ,just enough foot showing underneath to make him beleivable.. ..everyone has different taste and thats OK , I respect that..But If it gets too cochiney, I will have to et a different breed to show..but I just dont want a cochin..I like the look of a balanced bird..big, deep lots of feathers.

this is a buff orp in England, and hes an old show bird retired, and he doesnt look much different than birds I see here out showing.. to me hes all I could ever want..perfect in my eyes other than hes an older fella
35675_orpbc_3630e.jpg

this pic is in england also , as you can see they get thier share of problems too like major squirrle tail on some birds
ooops I deleted that pic that Liam sent me..I will ask him to send it again.

Last edited:
To be fair we should not forget to post a pics of David Pownall's Buffs. By far he is if not, one of the best Buff breeders in the UK and the world. You do not see any of the flaws many have mentioned. His birds could compete here in the USA. Their skirts are right near 2 inches as well. Nice color and size.

davidpownallorpsboys.jpg

Here is one of my low-quality Orpington's - haven't put much time into them, but enjoy their looks.

105825_rooster_posing-matthew_wenger.jpg

I know this is a dumb question, but what should the coloring be on a Buff pullet. For example, some have dark hackles and light bodies, while others have light hackles and light bodies and others have dark bodies and dark hackles. Thanks, MW

Last edited:
most only show you what they want you to see, we all produce some cull birds/pet quality(=yummy eggs), thats a fact.. its never 100% show quality in any one single hatch. some may have major flaws and some minor, then there are the keepers if you show or keep for breeders that is..

nice buffs...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom