Post pics of stock from Ideal Poultry please !!

Pics
WOW i didnt think my own thread would be so popular.....cool
cool.png

Can anyone comment on the egg production of their Speckled Susssex? I have no intentions of showing and I hear most hatchery SS have "too much white" but I'll settle for too much white over not enough eggs.

My BO, BR, EE, and maybe Blue Wyandottes came from Ideal, and they're all great (my nearest feed store orders from them)

I had a few others that were great birds, but were just too chatty to go unnoticed by the neighbors.

Quote:
My Speckled Sussex are made up of Ideal and McMurray birds. The Ideal hen we use to have did have more white, but the roo was lacking in his white until his first molt. Then he still isn't overly white.
Here he is before his first molt...
12214_morning_on_deck.jpg

I cannot say enough about how wonderful in personality this breed is. However, they are chatty. My hens talk to me a lot and love to free range and explore. My roo loves to crow and does a banner job of it. He takes care of his flock and his humans....defending my son against the black Orp monster we have.
Here is a shot of the SS hens from McMurray. Most of the time they are underfoot when you are outside and even have one that begs to be held. They have now discovered my FIL will throw them corn if they go beg at his back door.
roll.png
Spoiled I say! At least they work for it as they have to cross a pasture and between two tanks to go see him.
12214_sussex_hens.jpg

They lay pretty well, but they do not lay large eggs. They lay a medium to large medium light brown egg. Now that is compared to my Orpingtons in size, so I guess it is average. My Orps lay a good size egg with one laying a jumbo.

I'll join it we have 16 birds, 1 EE from Privett and one home bred Silkie x Welsumer, and the rest are from Ideal

Mort and Stevie self blue silkie (pullets @ 2.5 monthes)--plz note both have 10 toes and no pink skin
12944_005_-_copy_3.jpg

Stevie @ 6 1/4 monthes
12944_038.jpg

Smokey Grey Silkie (rooster @ 8 monthes)
12944_060.jpg

Sage Black Silkie pullet @ 4 monthes
12944_sage.jpg

Ester Barred Rock 1 yr
12944_ester.jpg

Alice Black Australorp 1 yr (great layers)
12944_alice.jpg

In order from left to right

BA, RSL, BR, EE(Privett) EE (ideal) 3 Red Crested Red Polish, Self Blue Silkie, Welsumer Roo Butt, WCPBantam, Red Silkie, SLW
and in the front Drk Brahma, and Brabanter
12944_007_-_copy_4.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom