Post pics of stock from Ideal Poultry please !!

Went to pick up feed and ended up bringing these two girls home yesterday. GLW. Our feed store orders from ideal.

Here are a few pics of some of my ideal chickens I took today.

One of my Gold Sex Link pullets. Her face is a little beaten up from a recent fight
sad.png

My Dark Cornish cockerel.

My 2 "Red" Silkie pullets. The Sebright is from Mt. Healthy.

Here is both of my Dark Brahma Cockerels, 2 Partridge Cochin pullets, the Gold Sex Link pullet again (before the fight) and a White Rock pullet.

Last edited:
OK, I have a bone (or 16) to pick with Ideal Poultry...

I ordered a total of 9 chicks, and received 25! Now, I know they said they might pack extra males in the box for warmth, but that is a lot of extra poultry to handle.

To be honest, I am not really complaining. All animals sent to me arrived happy, bright-eyed, and super-chirpy! Everyone ate, drank, and pooed just fine. Ran into a minor amount of pasting that subsided after three or four days. I am not the world's most serious guy, but even I felt silly washing their little butts. Laughed every time (Thank God I ONLY have 25...).

This is a mix of six Delaware hens, one Delaware rooster, two Barred Rock Hens, and 16 packing peanuts, er, chicks.

My little brooder lasted for the first two nights.

On day 8 of their lives, they have some nice wing feathers, plenty of curiosity, and voracious appetites. This is my nephew reaching in to feed by hand.

On day 22, even after a good, firm squeeze... (kidding).
This is the Delaware rooster, he is one of the chickens that will get a name (if he proves himself a worthy breeder and protector). I just can't name the ones I am going to eat.

Here is a picture of his feathering. I have nothing to compare it to, but I think it is coming in nicely.

The two Barred Rocks look very nice.

Here is one of the Broiler/Packing Peanut crosses. He is a big boy for three weeks from hatch. There are a couple pullets in the mix, I think. However, I have never sexed a chick, so I am going by the non-appearance of spurs. I am not really in any hurry to find out. This little fellow's name is "Coq au vin" or maybe "Colonel's Secret Recipe..."

Overall, despite the fact that I received a few more than I asked for, I have to say that I am really impressed. This is my first foray into the chicken world, and I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with Ideal Poultry. I would simply caution those with limited space or neighborhood restrictions to make sure you have a plan in place for the extra birds.

My chicks are a week old today, hatch date 2/18. I ordered 4 assorted cochin pullets, and the lady that packed my box was kind enough to write down what she had picked for me
A blue Cochin

a white

a partridge

and a "red", it's feathers are more buff than red and has poor foot feathering :/

The Barnevelders look identical

as do both the hamburgs
Overall I'm really happy with my chicks, the cochins, other than the red, have really good foot feathering with the blue actually having it on all three toes. The barnevendlers are feathering in good too but the hamburgs man, those are feathering in FAST !! They sprouted tail feathers like 3 days after I got them ! I did get 16 males for warmth, which I think might have been a bit excessive I mean I live in Los Angeles and it was 83 degrees when they came in, but what can you do.

Last edited:
I know what you mean by sort of excessive in high temps...hot Texas days really don't need extra males for warmth lol. But I think they do it so that they can get rid of a few males, or probably because its cold over here rather than being warm over there. Love the buff cochin baby!

Ideal Poultry is located in Cameron, TX which is sort of east of middle of the state. Weather there has been unseasonably cold like most of the country so they add the males for warmth even if they are being shipped to a warmer location. I live 300 miles from them and where their shipments used to come overnight, due to closure of postal sorting centers in the state they now take two to three days to travel that short distance. So, if they are being shipped to the West Coast they probably have to go from Cameron to Houston then to either San Antonio or Dallas for a flight. That is easily a day or two of exposure to extreme cold for our part of the country so those little boys you get for free probably assured that your desired breeds arrived alive.

No, I do not work for Ideal. But I am a really happy and satisfied customer of theirs.

Ideal Poultry is located in Cameron, TX which is sort of east of middle of the state. Weather there has been unseasonably cold like most of the country so they add the males for warmth even if they are being shipped to a warmer location. I live 300 miles from them and where their shipments used to come overnight, due to closure of postal sorting centers in the state they now take two to three days to travel that short distance. So, if they are being shipped to the West Coast they probably have to go from Cameron to Houston then to either San Antonio or Dallas for a flight. That is easily a day or two of exposure to extreme cold for our part of the country so those little boys you get for free probably assured that your desired breeds arrived alive.

No, I do not work for Ideal. But I am a really happy and satisfied customer of theirs.

I had thought about that, Im just glad everyone arrived alived

Has anyone every gotten a std. Partridge cochin from ideal? Mine is feathering out so much slower than all the other chicks and she's a bit smaller than the other cochin chicks. Do their adult partridge tend to be smaller as well?

Back
Top Bottom