post your chicken coop pictures here!

Fire guy 56, I am new raising chickens and want to build a coop similar to your large one. Understand please, tools and building is also new. Do you have plans and how long does it take to build? I have approximately 20 babies coming first week in June. They'll be staying in the house until they can go outside. Thank Gay Lee

I remember making punch cards in college when we were studying programming. Sheesh. I'm ancient.
th.gif

I went back to work in 1979 after raising a family. The computers were not in the workplaces at the first 2 jobs I had but by 1982 I had to learn the 2 disk method of using a program and using the 2nd disk to manage my data. So confusing like Greek to someone who had a 10-minute crash course from a co-worker. Lucky for me they had a laboratory that I used for 2 weekends to self-teach myself on a tutorial and managed to get my future job with "advanced" computer skills. I sweated that one out! One advantage I had was that my manual typing skills were at 80 wpm and I knew Gregg Shorthand - that was a valuable asset in those days since Shorthand was a dinosaur by then. As if computers were not hard enough to use in the workplace we kept getting one new DOS or new program every coupe months until MicroSoft came along eliminating all that mess. I may dislike Windows 10 today but then I think back to the 70's about the long way technology has come. My Mom was born at the turn of the 20th century in horse and wagon days and saw automobiles developed, radio, major household appliances, atomic bombs, world-changing wars and nuclear threats, airplanes and jets, Presidential assassinations and attempts, television, the Moon landings, computers, cell phones, and cable TV all in the 98 years she lived! I only lived a small part of that kind of change.

punch cards and fortran and basic in Highschool   70s

I was doing it in college in 1980. **sigh** My life rotated around a shoe box of punch cards.

I have personally key punched a box that was an arms length....  then Verified it  which entails keypunching again   :th back in the eighties the big guys were already doing magnetic tape...   I loved fortran.... I loved basic too.    It was the logic that i embraced back then. 

sigh is right

deb

I still do most of my closed source programming and coding in BASIC, as I find myself developing faster in BASIC...

Fire guy 56, I am new raising chickens and want to build a coop similar to your large one. Understand please, tools and building is also new. Do you have plans and how long does it take to build? I have approximately 20 babies coming first week in June. They'll be staying in the house until they can go outside. Thank Gay Lee
welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to the thread. I have to chuckle. So many new chickens owners do it backwards. You're supposed to have the housing set up before ordering chicks. We prepared for 6 months before getting our 2 birds and still had to modify and adjust once they arrived! GL and enjoy your chickies!

I posted this the other day... it is upside down.

Well here it is being used by my babies. They arrived on
Friday the 13th.

A board nailed to the bottom two legs of the crib headboard legs and a board connecting the two footboard legs at the bottom will secure the flimsy chicken wire from being pushed in by curious dogs or cats. The railings are solidly connecting wire but the wire at the bottom of the headboard and footboard on the grass are not secure from what I can tell by the photo. I can't tell if there is wire over the top? Great use as a brooder. Maybe shade half the top if it gets too warm so chickies have shade? After you're done using this crib as a brooder you can use the footboard and headboard pieces to make lean-to's for foraging chickens to snooze under. We salvaged a couple junior head/footboards and set them up on cinder blocks as a chicken retreat from the sun and for hiding from the hawk.

A board nailed to the bottom two legs of the crib headboard legs and a board connecting the two footboard legs at the bottom will secure the flimsy chicken wire from being pushed in by curious dogs or cats. The railings are solidly connecting wire but the wire at the bottom of the headboard and footboard on the grass are not secure from what I can tell by the photo. I can't tell if there is wire over the top? Great use as a brooder. Maybe shade half the top if it gets too warm so chickies have shade? After you're done using this crib as a brooder you can use the footboard and headboard pieces to make lean-to's for foraging chickens to snooze under. We salvaged a couple junior head/footboards and set them up on cinder blocks as a chicken retreat from the sun and for hiding from the hawk.
On the ends we used hardware wire so it is stiffer than the chicken wire. My husband cut some pieces of wood to help hold the hardware wire in place and to help cover the sharp wire from when we cut it. Right now there isn't a top since I am keeping the babies inside unless I'm out there with them. I hope we will have the bigger coop built before I have to move them outside. I also have another part that will attach to this for them to get into. They just need to be a little bigger.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom