post your chicken coop pictures here!

Thanks. The box on the side is a feeder hopper that opens on the inside of the coop. That way ground squirrels, mice, etc., don't get to share my chicken's food. However, the sparrows do go in and get some. Although. unlike some of the people that have posted who have a lot of birds using their feeders, we only have a few. (So far).

How many can you spare...

I need them to join my Iditarod team.

BTW I researched and came up with the conclusion why they like chickens.

Answer is on the bottom. Maybe also in their genes.
gig.gif

Yeah, they are as far as i know. But i saw this interesting documentary on coydogs once and how the coyotes bred with wolves and moved east so I think the "coyotes" here are technically coydogs. Or at least a large part of them. They are much bigger, stronger, more bold, etc. Than their western counterparts. Fascinating documentary (and a little scary). I think it was by Nature and might still be on Netflix.

Hi guys,
I feel a future problem happening, my turkey's found the last of my fall garden which is no big deal but I'm going to plant today and I'm scared they will eat it up. I really don't want to put a fence around it. I have 5 acres so anyone know of something else I can plant to let temperature eat a way from my garden.

We've never had turkeys but here are different ways we've kept the chickens out of the raised garden beds.

Using a JoAnn's Craft/Fabrics 50%-off coupon we bought very fine mesh bridal tulle which is like several feet wide and buy in the length we need and drape over our young veggie garden plants and clip it down so the chickens don't bother trying to peck through the mesh. Cheaper than actual bird netting which has holes so large the chickens can still peck through it and insects can fly through it. The bridal tulle netting has much finer holes and still lets the sunshine in. The tulle only lasts for one growing season because it eventually tears but still way cheaper than actual bird netting.

This is the bird netting we used our first year of veggie gardening and it kept the chickens out but it let the flying insects in and it was expensive, tore easily, and had to be discarded after one season.

Most of the time we use a portable rabbit fencing around areas we want the chickens to stay out of; they have come to respect barriers in the yard -- here I am preparing a raised bed with fine soil and compost materials and making teepee rods over the bed to drape bridal tulle next. The portable rabbit fence keeps the chickens from digging in my prepared garden bed. Again, I never had turkeys so don't know how this would work for you.

At the end of gardening season we let the chickens have their way with digging in the fallow garden beds.

Yeah, they are as far as i know. But i saw this interesting documentary on coydogs once and how the coyotes bred with wolves and moved east so I think the "coyotes" here are technically coydogs. Or at least a large part of them. They are much bigger, stronger, more bold, etc. Than their western counterparts. Fascinating documentary (and a little scary). I think it was by Nature and might still be on Netflix.

I seen that Documentary also , I think it was on the Discovery channel or QED (Nature). I believe they called them coywolfs, and yes they are on the east coast

​I seen that Documentary also , I think it was on the Discovery channel or QED (Nature). I believe they called them coywolfs, and yes they are on the east coast

Yeah, it was great. And oh yeah, coywolfs is what they were! Not sure why I called them coydogs haha sorry guys!

Back
Top Bottom