post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Southerlys

Southerlys Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Kirkwood Mo
    [​IMG]

2. Southerlys

Southerlys Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Kirkwood Mo
    [​IMG]

3. DoubleMM

DoubleMM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2014
    Very cute. We inherited a couple off scrap wood/pallet made coops that had been on the property for years. When I built our new one a few years later, my wife began call it the "Taj MaHen".

Can't wait to see how you add on to it, because you know you will...

4. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    Chickens are very therapeutic. Well, when they aren't squawking for treats anyway. Invite the neighbors over for a little "chicken TV" when they are stressed.

I don't think extending that roof farther will keep the egg collector dry, it is already not much higher than the top of the nest box. Presuming there is not a driving rain, lifting the lid (which IS half under an overhang) long enough to collect a couple of eggs shouldn't be a problem. If there IS a driving rain, stay in the house until it lets up! Nothing bad is going to happen to the eggs if they sit in the nest awhile, not even if they sit all day. I would put a gutter or something on the edge of the roof though, all rain (and snow if it happens) will come off over the nest box and even a light rain will end up as more water on the egg collector and will make a mess on the ground where s/he has to stand.

"nicely rounded edges" means only "not a sharp 90 degrees". Look at a chicken's foot. The toes are like our fingers, only a few joints. They aren't going to curl around the "rounded" edge of a 2x4, it is still a 90 degree angle. I can't think of a reason to angle them, it would just make it harder on the birds since they would have to grip to stand if there were much of an angle and have to compensate for the lack of level footing by "leaning" forward or backward a bit.

You already have had some good suggestions but I would start with: How much did it cost you in materials? Sell for less than that and not only was your labor free, you are losing money.

5. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    I think an excellent price would be about $100 including shipping.....I can send you the NY address it should go to as well! (he he)

Nice coop! Also, the comment about the cover over the nesting boxes...who collects eggs in the pouring rain anyway? As long as it's leak proof for the girls, I wouldn't worry too much about that issue. Well done! Good Luck selling it!

MB

6. Melabella

Jun 2, 2011
    May I ask what the dimensions of this coop are and how many chickens do you house in it? What is the maximum it can hold? Did you build it yourself? Nice job!

MB

7. jtbass2756

jtbass2756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Nash County , NC
    My Coop
    [​IMG]I saw a post somewhere on this thread where the builder made his run by first building it in individual panels and then putting it together....making it portable if necessary. I thought that was a great idea. Then you could put a skirt around it with either 1/4" hardware wire or pavers. [​IMG]

8. 1chief

1chief Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2013
    Yulee fl
    i guess after researching coops i will ask 500.00 OBO IS THAT FAIR ONES THE SAME SIZE GO FROM 300-1375. mine is not a prefab. all custom made.

9. Melabella

Jun 2, 2011
    that is more than fair.. wish I was closer! Good Luck..

MB

10. coaldigger

coaldigger Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2014
    [​IMG] thought I might share a pic of our " chicken TV " as well. My daughter and I try and spend and hour or so out in the run with our birds. We mostly have silkies and cochins so they have huge personalities that off set their small bodies and are fun to watch and talk to.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by